Looking to beef up rear end and transmission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to beef up rear end and transmission

Been looking around now for a stronger rearend and transmission to swap onto my 94LT1 TA Any ideas? Not filled with money either!lol

well you can get a ford 9 inch from an older vehicle, but it'll take some custom work to make it work with your car. i believe you have to cut down the axles and axle tubes, and get it setup for the torque arm setup. would probably still be cheaper then buying a 9 inch or 12 bolt from moser. as for the tranny, you could find a used 4l80E, not sure if the stock computer would be able to control it though. it's basically a th400 with OD and electronic control.
    87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

General guidelines:

up to 400HP = stock

400+ HP with an A4 = stock + major upgrades ($1,000+)

up to 800HP - Strange 12-bolt (Moser also makes on, but I prefer the Strange) $2,200-$2,600. Advantages - low weight, moderate power losses (7%), minimal compromises on fitment. Strange works with stock driveshaft.

over 800HP to 1000HP - Strange (Dana) 60 ($2,200 - $2,500). Advantages - highest efficeincy (5% loss), moderate weight penalty (+25#), some noise issues with early models, gears are larger and stronger than the 9-inch.

1000+HP - Highly modified 9-inch ($2500-$3500). Can be built to handle virtually any power level, but requires high $$$ parts to achieve maximum strength and reasonable weight.

All of those are available as a direct bolt in to the 3rd and 4th Gen torque arm suspensions. The 12-bolt and Dana 60 allow you to keep 3-channel ABS or 4-channel ABS/TCS. The 9-inch will not handle 3-channel. 9-inch does not have a posi available over 33-splines, requiring a locker or a spool - not street friendly.

As far as the trans, without knowing whether you have an A4 or an M6, its hard to say. Why not add a "signature" with basic info about your car so people can provide more comple answers. You can add a signature uswing the "Quick Links" button.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
      X