02 t/a rear end 'snapping' noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 t/a rear end 'snapping' noise

here's my issue.. and i did not find any info relavent on the search here so i thought i 'd do a post ane see what happens. maybe i missed a thread..dunno. i have an 02 t/a base model (non ws6) 6sp. i had the windows down and noticed this.. not noticable otherwise. when letting out the clutch there is a very distictive 'snap.. snap' sound coming from under the car..sounds like two snaps.. can't determine left or right side or not. sounds like it might be the rear diff. .. maybe tranny? but sounds aft of gearbox. is not noticable over third/fourth gear .. maybe due to engine/road noise. i am a second owner.. and generally the car hasnt been abused, at least by me or to my knowlegde.. had a little fun now and again but noting brutal like drag racing etc. this has come up recently and there are no noticable issues on daily driving. seems to do ok under regular circumstances. the only issue i have ever had with the car is slight wheel hop on a hard right turn with hard pedal... which is normal from what i've read so far. correct me if that's not the case. would appreciate any input.. especially from ase mechanic types. thanks- ron
    previous- '82 recaro. current-bone stock '02 t/a 6sp base model.

Judging by your description, I would think it would be a broken tranny mount. The tranny mount is pretty common, and is usually only noticed when letting out the clutch in first, although sounds more like a thump than a snap.

I highly doubt it's anything in the rearend, because that would be a constant noise (bearings) or a continuous jerk (broken tooth on a ring gear).

Either way, you're going to have to get the car in the air, so it's time to break out the jackstands or take it to a shop.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

umm. nope. not a thud/ thunk or anything like that. had it up on jacks today doing brake pads. everything looks ok on tranny mounts etc. nothing obvious on visiual. not any abnormal jolts etc. felt on the shifter when this happens. the best way i know to descride is a snap like marbles make when they hit.. yeah i know who the hell plays with marbles anymore. crack of pool balls to low pitch.. more like ball bearings smackin. well i dunno. do i need to worry or just wait to til something craps out? i have a year left on gm dearler warranty. want to make sure its ok before that date rolls by. any ideas anyone? thanks- ron

Comment

Originally posted by axgrndr
        umm. nope. not a thud/ thunk or anything like that. had it up on jacks today doing brake pads. everything looks ok on tranny mounts etc. nothing obvious on visiual. not any abnormal jolts etc. felt on the shifter when this happens. the best way i know to descride is a snap like marbles make when they hit.. yeah i know who the hell plays with marbles anymore. crack of pool balls to low pitch.. more like ball bearings smackin. well i dunno. do i need to worry or just wait to til something craps out? i have a year left on gm dearler warranty. want to make sure its ok before that date rolls by. any ideas anyone? thanks- ron
        with one year left on the warranty, i'd run the hell out of it and see if anything breaks.

but being realistic, i'd put it up on 4 jackstands and have a buddy get down by the back of the car. put it in gear and let it out just like you do on the street when it makes the noise, maybe he'll be able to pinpoint where the noise is actually coming from, and you can go from there.
        87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

MunSonGTA is right. Get it in the air and then have someone be under the car.. Never Know it could be a bushing or something but with a simple test like this it will give you a better idea as to what it can be. If its so faint that you can only hear it it with the windows rolled down could be the drivetrain harmonics, unless its something that just started happening. How long have you owned the car?
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

had the car a year. and yes is a new noise in the past couple of months.. at least that i noticed. what about the clutch or throw out bearing going? 75k on milage. dont think thats it as the car drives fine and the sound seems to be coming from the rear but not 100% on that. i dont know. i'm taking it in to have tires balanced and rotated in the next week. maybe the tire shop can run it up on the lift for me.. hopefully. thanks for the input so far.

Comment

Check the u-joints- if they get dry they can make some funny noises, usually right at take off from a dead stop- they may be on their way out
              2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
              "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

you have a GM warranty? Just take it into them.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
                2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

checked the u-joints they are tight.. but i didnt see that they can be greased.. think that's mostly aftermarket ones?.. and yes on the warranty. but i want to have a good idea of the actual problem before i take it in. have had very bad experiences on getting 'taken' about this or that with dealer service departments. its my only set of wheels for now and i dont wanna wait the typical 3 days time for them to get to it and start trying to figure it out. yes i will take it in but i cant afford to be down while they roll the dice etc. either. also just trying to educate myself as to the car in general. the more i know about the nuances of it the more it is really 'mine'

Comment

I asked my very knowledgable b/f about this and he said check the slave cylinder and the throw-out bearing.

2000 Formula
                    Custom flame job, SLP Headers & ORY-pipe, Whisper Lid, Free Air Mod, Ported MAF, Loud Mouth Cat Back, BMR LCA's, Other stuff that Im too lazy to list right now

Comment

If the noise occurs when you just start rolling, then it could be chatter from the diff clutches. Change the oil and add 1 or 2 bottles of limited slip diff additive.

Warren
                      96 T/A,WS6,M6
                      79 T/A,WS6,A3,403
                      72 442,W30,A3
                      06 Vette,Z51,M6

Comment

Working...
                      X