Dumb question? I'm a noob.....sorry!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question? I'm a noob.....sorry!

I actually have two questions. I love the '87-'92 Formulas. I don't know what gen they are. 4th? I also love the TPI 350 motor. Unfortunately, I love manual trannys as well. For these Formulas, 5spd cars came only in a 305, right? I believe all the 350TPI cars were autos. Or am I wrong? Secondly, my dumb question: If I were to buy a '90 Formula with a 305 and 5spd, can I pull that motor and drop in a carburated 350 and still use the 5spd? Okay. So that was 4 questions. Sorry. Thanx for any and all responses!

Those are 3rd gens.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

1st Gen - 67-69
      2nd Gen - 70-81
      3rd Gen - 82-92
      4th Gen - 93-02

The 350 TPI was not available with the 5-speed, because the T5 would not reliably handle the torque that the 350 put out.

The T5 will bolt up to the 350 TPI. It probably won't last long, because it is very weak.

The 350 TPI has excellent low-end torque, but its a real dog over 4,500rpm. The long-runner TPI intake is a large part of the problem. There are better ways to make fuel injected HP. If you want to go to a carb, your options are fairly unlimited.

If you like the T5, you should look into upgrading to a "World Class" T5, or switch to the Borg-Warner/Tremec T56, which can handle huge amounts of torque and HP.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

You could go as far as swapping over an entire powertrain like a LT-1 and 6 speed trans. The only real headache of any of the swaps is the probability of having to modify the transmission tunnel to accept the shifter.

If you are set on that particular body style, my suggestion would be to swap over a factory combination that is already proven. Something like that LT-1 and 6 speed, or whatever. At least it's a proven combo and will reduce problems.

Comment

Working...
        X