ws6?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ws6?

this kid was talking to me about my car and he asked it was and or had ws6.. i didnt want to say yes if it didnt so i just said no.. what was he talking about?
    1987 Formula Firebird
    GM crate 350 5.7L carburated
    MSD, Edlebrock intake and carb, Dynomax headers

A ws6 is a car with a ram airhood
    2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Comment

WS6 info

A company called Street Legal Performance (SLP) had been marketing a hopped-up Firebird since 1992, calling it the Firehawk. Beginning with the 4th generation, the Firehawk included a fresh-air (forced-air?) induction hood with two nostrils at the leading edge. For 1996 Pontiac decided to make an in-house version of the hotter Firebird (even though the cosmetic upgrades were still outsourced to SLP) and decided to resurrect the 'Ram Air' script for the hood-mounted air intakes. Taking the marketing ball and running with it, Pontiac decided to incorporate the engine AND suspension upgrades under the option code letters 'WS6'. Thus, the WS6 option package was reborn for the 90s, this time comprising of:

The fresh-air intake system
      Suspension upgrades (bushings, shocks, sway bars, etc)
      Tire upgrades (17 inch wheels with 275mm-wide high performance tires)
      unique WS6 wheels
      specific WS6 and Ram Air badging
      WS6-specific exhaust (1998+)
      Note that the Firehawk model still continued to be produced by SLP as a side item although always in limited quantities (with a hiatus for the 1998 model year) whereas the WS6 model was usually much more readily available for purchase (with the exception of the 1998 model year, as will be discussed later, when WS6 modifications were outsourced to a company called ASC for the remainder of the fourth generation Firebird).

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

The "WS6" designation was around for many years, and was primarilly a handling and braking package. I know it was available as early as 1978, when it allowed the addition of 4-wheel disc brakes to the top end models. It had nothing to do with a Ram Air hood, or with the Firehawk, or with SLP in those days. Those are 4th Gen features, and the original poster has a 3rd Gen.

For your 1987 it was called the "WS6 Special Performance Package", and was a $385.00 option. In the 3rd Gen years, the WS6 package generally included a "performance suspension" and 16" wheels. Again, nothing to do with "ram air" or a hood sccop. If your car has the WS6 option, it will be identified with those letters on the build tag.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
          The "WS6" designation was around for many years, and was primarilly a handling and braking package. I know it was available as early as 1978, when it allowed the addition of 4-wheel disc brakes to the top end models. It had nothing to do with a Ram Air hood, or with the Firehawk, or with SLP in those days. Those are 4th Gen features, and the original poster has a 3rd Gen.

For your 1987 it was called the "WS6 Special Performance Package", and was a $385.00 option. In the 3rd Gen years, the WS6 package generally included a "performance suspension" and 16" wheels. Again, nothing to do with "ram air" or a hood sccop. If your car has the WS6 option, it will be identified with those letters on the build tag.
          Yup. A few other signs as well, like a small dash plaque noting the handling package. Who knows what may have been swapped over the years so unless you go by vin, all bets are off.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            Yup. A few other signs as well, like a small dash plaque noting the handling package. Who knows what may have been swapped over the years so unless you go by vin, all bets are off.

My '91 Formula neve came with any dash plaque and it was a WS6. The only place that said WS6 was on the centercaps of the 16" wheels and the build tag/option decal.

My ride is here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR

Comment

my old 88 has a lil tag by the radio that said performance suspension system.,, 16" wheels, and a lil tighter suspension set-up thats pretty much it. 4th gens got the nostril hood, 17s, stiffer suspension. prob more not sure.
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by ToplessFormula
                My '91 Formula neve came with any dash plaque and it was a WS6. The only place that said WS6 was on the centercaps of the 16" wheels and the build tag/option decal.
                Ya never know what they do from year to year. My 87 had the plaque but no emblems on the wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                  Yup. A few other signs as well, like a small dash plaque noting the handling package.
                  Wow, really? That means my 88 Formula was a WS6. No wonder why it felt like it handled better than my Trans Am does. I never would have guessed that
                  Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                  SOLD- Kinda miss it
                  94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                  SOLD- Good riddance!
                  2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

i had an '82 recaro edition. it was a ws6. the only way you could tell a ws6 vs ws7 back then was by rear disc (ws6) or drum in the rear (ws7). the later models it's pretty easy to just check the rpo codes on the drivers door jumb.. back in the 80's its a vin thing plus maybe another tag on the hood.. if i remember right. too long ago. will tell you this much my '82 would do a lane change at 60mph with a fast snap right then left in about a car length and stick like it was on rails... my '02 has more power etc. but not as zippy in some regards on the handling. contact pontiac historical society to resolve it. is a few bucks but if you just gotta know will be worth it... might even discover you have or owned a collectable etc. like i did
                    previous- '82 recaro. current-bone stock '02 t/a 6sp base model.

Comment

oh yeah. i forgot was thicker front and rear sway bars on my '82. plus four wheel disc. laters
                      previous- '82 recaro. current-bone stock '02 t/a 6sp base model.

Comment

I have a 91 trans am ws6, only it has rear drums. This dosn't make sense.
                        1997 Trans Am WS6
                        6 speed transmition
                        Flow Master cat back
                        other than that its stock

Comment

What was in the package varied from year to year. In the 3rd Gens, it appears - most years - to be supsension and wheels.
                          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

ws6 on thirdgens was handling, wheels, and brakes basically. my gta has it, i have the badging inside the car, along with the center caps. but then again i believe all GTA models came with it.

to shaggs, your formula most likely has it, but it's not for certain. is the car a formula 350 or did it come with the 305? look for your rpo codes in the center console and see which rpo codes you have.
                            87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

I believe Ws6 goes back to the 70's

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
                              2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

Working...
                              X