Fuel Pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump

I just did the trap door cut out to remove and replace my pump. Be aware that in 98+ f-bodies the fuel pump is one unit with the assembly...you can not replace the just the pump alone. It's the whole unit. Costs are anywhere from $325-$375 (probably cheaper if you shop, but I didn't have time to do so and picked up on from autozone for $375; Napa had one for 350 a Delphi unit, but had to be ordered, so did Advance). Also, with plastic tanks, which are in 1999+ cars, the pump is also relocated further back towards the rear approx 6 inches. I started dremeling according to measurements from this site ***trap door*** and found myself looking for the pump located many inches further back.

All of this is of course FYI.

Also, I was quite amazed how clean my tank was...not one thing or any build up. Everything Amaco Ultimate clean and clear.

Job took 1.5 hours and about 10 dremel disks.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

why didn't you go with an aftermarket pump?
    87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Odd.... Racetronix sells a replacement pump (only) for the plastic tank LS1 cars. $210 - $230.

http://www.racetronix.com/RX-F99-FPKG-2.html

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Why didn't I? The pump crapped out on me, sputtering, throwing code P0171 & P0174 before dying ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD! I had to pull into a parking lot, call my brother and went around trying to find a pump...had to get it fixed cause I'm paralegal and had a to be in court at 1:00. Couldn't wait or did I have any other choice...at the time.

Now...if I could of have another vehicle or other means of transportation...I would've went aftermarket.

I thought it was odd to when guys at Napa told me it was one unit...when I pulled my Haynes it said it also...so maybe I'm wrong.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

what kind of problems were you goin through when you realized you needed a new pump, my bro's is meesin up and we are not sure exactly what it is

Comment

I've replaced two pumps in my past f-bodies including this one...they aren't known to have symptoms before dying. I noticed that the pump didn't prime the lines when I turned my car on. You know the sound, that buzz your pump makes. Though, at times, I could hear the fuel pump whine loudly for random periods of time...my personal indication that the pump was gonna die soon. That might very from pump to pump.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

exactly...most of the time it has a real hard time to sata, but if you turn the key a few times it will start up ALOT better, but recently every now and then the whine will not even come on, so someone told him to knock on the bottom of the gas tank a few times...i guess thats worked.. or its luck,

Comment

Working...
              X