Leaky Battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky Battery

I had a drip a couple months ago under the right front of my SS. Appeared to be battery acid. Around the same time I started to have a slight "dead spot" when starting. I checked the battery and it was only putting out around 9V. Also noticed that corrosion had hit the positive terminal really fast. I changed the battery out and cleaned the terminals. There were no leaks in the battery casing. Several days later, I stopped for gas and the car was dead. Getting power to all accesories, but nothing to the starter. I checked the terminals and was able to move the positive slightly, then it fired right up, I retightened the terms, no problems for the last couple of months. Yesterday it was dead again. Positive term very corroded again. I could tell that the positive cable is really corroded inside the insulation, so I am going to replace the positive cable. My theory is that the old battery leaked through the positive term threaded hole and has eaten up the cable inside of the insulation which is causing the intermittant "dead" starting issue. It would also explain the leak that went away when the battery was changed. Any thoughts?
    RonC
    CFFB #15
    00 SS #4805 - 6M -
    Black/Custom gray leather
    GM Options: Everything but the CD changer
    SLP Options: Got all them too!

Yup. happened to me a couple of years ago but cauht it quick enough that no real damage was done. I immediatly replaced the battery and thoroughly cleaned the tray, cables and surrounding areas. The old baking soda in water neutralized any remaining acids and no problems since.

Comment

i eliminated those kind of problems by up grading to a better battery optima bothe red and yellow top are excelent and carry a life time warrenty

Comment

Working...
      X