Might be dropping in a V8, then fear sets in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might be dropping in a V8, then fear sets in

I currently have a 1993 Firebird 3.4 A4. Ive enjoyed my car for something like 10yrs now, its been a relatively good car for the most part. But like many of you, now that its paid off, I dont want another car note but desire more power. A friend of mine offered to sell me a LT1 out of a 96 T/A...engine, pcm, wiring, accessories, exhaust. Ive searched and read about a few things that would have to be changed when going from a 93 LT1 to a 96 LT1. My question is....if I have the 96 engine, along with the accessories, wiring and pcm...other than instrument cluster, engine cradle, transmission/crossmember....is there anything else that I'd need to look for or change? I just dont want to have to rig something up to make it work is all...at least as little as absolutely possible. Thanks for your time and patience.
    LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

The radiator I believe is different, maybe the cooling fans as well.

The V6 cars had a 2 piece driveshaft. That will need to go.

V6 cars in 93 did not offer a limited slip rear end or rear disc brakes.

Also, to offset the added weight of the V8 you'll need new springs in front. The V6 anti-sway bars should be upgraded to the V8 bars as well.

Honestly, as cheap as a early LT1 car is, I'd just sell the V6 car and buy one that already has an 8. The engine swap will be way more expensive and the end result will not be nearly as good.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
      The radiator I believe is different, maybe the cooling fans as well.

The V6 cars had a 2 piece driveshaft. That will need to go.

V6 cars in 93 did not offer a limited slip rear end or rear disc brakes.

Also, to offset the added weight of the V8 you'll need new springs in front. The V6 anti-sway bars should be upgraded to the V8 bars as well.

Honestly, as cheap as a early LT1 car is, I'd just sell the V6 car and buy one that already has an 8. The engine swap will be way more expensive and the end result will not be nearly as good.
      Yeah I knew about the radiator and fans....Ive already upgraded the driveshaft and swaybars, its got V6 Eibach springs in it, so a new set would be in order. I know it would be easier and more than likely cheaper to buy a V8 car....but you know how it is when your attached to a car, its "ya baby".
      LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
        Yup. What he said.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Go for it that way you can say I did it I learned a lot an it was fun.If you do not do it you will never know what it was like. You have a lot of people here to help you out.Now get it done an take a lot of pic's.
          Blazer

Comment

My thoughts-
            -Engine is already out so now would be the perfect time for a little freshing up, buy the engine and do the things that are a PITA now and then drop it in there a little bit better then when it began. Heck if you have the money you could do a full rebuild on it.

-Maybe time for a tubular K member it would be the perfect time to do it with the engine out. Plus it'd be the perfect time to replace and worn bushing down there.

-If you have the space and patience you could buy it now build the parts and make it truly your car.

Again these are just my thoughts, plus wasn't this Joe's whole Blue angel project just with a 93 instead of a 95?
            1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

Comment

I say go for it. I'm slowly doing the same thing with my 94. It's now up to 202k miles, doesn't burn oil, runs like a champ. Everything will be swapped over from the wrecked WS6, the very last swap will be the motor. Until it starts to die, I'm going to run it.

Comment

If you're up to the challenge and you enjoy working on it, why not do it? You can customize everything down to the suspension, tuning, brakes, etc. It will be a one-of-a-kind ride.........
                Darrin C
                '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Well if you're going to do it, why not go LS1?

LT1 ignition is a PITA, I'd love to have those coil packs....
                  97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                    Well if you're going to do it, why not go LS1?

LT1 ignition is a PITA, I'd love to have those coil packs....
                    Well a LS1 would be extremely nice to do, but a friend offered to sell me his LT1, wiring harness, pcm, all accessories, and exhaust for $500, and another thing...Ive heard that theres alot more involved to putting a LS1 into a car that didnt come equipped with one. (something about the abs system being different, and the airbags, obd2, and the fuel lines and throttle cables being different)

Comment

Working...
                    X