TPI trouble code 33

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPI trouble code 33

On my 87 MAF TPI 305 I just got my car fired up today but i giving me a code 33! What do I test and what? Any ideas?

Thanks in advanced!
    ----------

Code 33 is for the MAP sensor. Either the vacuum signal hose is disconnected, leaking or there is a poor electrical connection/faulty sensor. Could possibly be the ECM if all of the other check out.

Comment

joe, he has maf, not map in an 87.

champion, replace your maf burnoff relay and power relay first, they are about 10 bucks each at the part store and are the same relay. they are located on your drivers side by the brake booster. they should be the 2 closest to the fender, the other one is your fuel pump relay. if that doesn't fix your problem, it's most likely your maf sensor.
      87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Hey, I just read the shop manual this morning for a code 33..............

Comment

it's alright man. i know you're a 4th gen guy.

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys for the help. My car was a 91 tbi that i had converted over to 87 tpi so i have 4 relays on the firewall. can you tell me what color the wires are for each? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ChampionN84
              Thanks guys for the help. My car was a 91 tbi that i had converted over to 87 tpi so i have 4 relays on the firewall. can you tell me what color the wires are for each? Thanks
              i'm not sure what the 4th relay is for. when you swapped to tpi, why didn't you go with SD, since the tbi setup is already SD? i'm also not sure on the colors of the wiring, my car isn't here at my house currently.

Comment

Well...

I bought 3 cars one day...
                a 91 that was a tbi 305 but it didn't have a motor or sensors. $700 minor body work needed. lots of extras
                87 iroc body was garbage but the motor was 305 tpi maf with everything that ran and was low miles. The guy didn't know how to fix it $400 a steal and i sold the wheels the same day for $300 to a friend.
                and then my old 85 with suspension parts galore so i made myself a Frankenstein
                I also have tons of parts 7 shelves full of parts and i still made profit off the deal even with the conversion buy tpiparts.net

Comment

i want to..

I wanted to get it running painted do a few other things and finish my Skylark project then maybe switch to SD if i get crazy with mods

Comment

with it being an 87 maf, i'm pretty familiar with it. i'm not sure what the 4th relay on the firewall would be for, or what it would even be hooked to if you do have it hooked up.

Comment

Help

can you tell me how to properly troubleshoot the error?

Comment

sorry i don't know off the top of my head how to trouble shoot it. what i'd suggest is to go over to thirdgen.org and do a search for maf troubleshooting diagrams, or get ahold of a user named trickster. i believe trickster is the user that sent me the troubleshooting diagrams when i was having maf issues.

Comment

Originally posted by ChampionN84
                          ....the guy didn't know how to fix it $400 a steal....
                          weird, i know a similar story. had it been stolen perhaps? sorry to thread jack i know a guy who had his iroc stolen, then he recovered it but didn't know how to fix it. lives in santa cruz area
                          -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
                          2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

The only thing i could find was for a 1986 5.0L TPI:

The MAF relays will have 5 wires, the one that does NOT go directly to the ecm= dk blu, blk/wht, org, tan wht and red.
                            the one that goes to the ecm= dk grn, dk blu, blk/wht red and blk.

not sure if that helps.
                            -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
                            2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Working...
                            X