A few questions about engine swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions about engine swap

Hey guys. My girlfriend wants me to put a carbureted 350 in her 91 V6 rs. I have a 700r4 to go behind it. I was just wondering if there are any parts I would be able to swap over like brackets and stuff? Would the 3.1 alternator and fuel pump be sufficent or do they need to be upgraded too? I figure I will need a better fan at least, but will I also need a new radiator? Anything else anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance, Kenny
    LOUD2000T/A
    '00 Trans Am M6, K&N filter, Airbox Lid, F.A.S.T. LS-X Intake, Stainlessworks offroad y-pipe, Loudmouth catback, Pro 5.0 shifter, Hypertech programming, 17" Torque Thrust II wheels, 12.97@113; '87 Monte Carlo SS; '91 Sonoma V6 4x4.

Originally posted by LOUD2000T/A
    Hey guys. My girlfriend wants me to put a carbureted 350 in her 91 V6 rs. I have a 700r4 to go behind it. I was just wondering if there are any parts I would be able to swap over like brackets and stuff? Would the 3.1 alternator and fuel pump be sufficent or do they need to be upgraded too? I figure I will need a better fan at least, but will I also need a new radiator? Anything else anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance, Kenny
    you should look into the driveshaft and see if it will swap over. do you plan on running an electric fuel pump or manual? i'd try to get a used radiator from a v8 car, i'm not sure if there is a difference but there might be. if you get one from an iroc or a gta model car, it'll have a tranny cooler built into the radiator. is the 350 a serpentine setup motor or vbelt? the 3.1 is probably serpentine so you'll have to look into that. you'll probably have to use v8 motor mounts and frame mounts also.
    87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

You can use the stock in-tank fuel pump. You'll need to install a fuel pressure regulator to frop it down to 6psi for the carb. the regulator will also have to have a return line for the pump to survive.

You can use a standard Holley dual output regulator. send one side through a flow restrictor and to the return line. Send the other side to the fuel pressure gauge, a filter and the carb.

You'll need to have some lines made up to handle the high pressure to the regulator.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
      X