Belt is Shredded!!!! HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt is Shredded!!!! HELP!

I went to tighten my header bolt today and i noticed something different out of the corner of my eye, and when i looked at the alternator i noticed that my belt was shredded!! As you can see, the belt slid off the pulley and against the alternator and has started to shred! What in the world would cause it to do this? Is something out of place or is a pulley not tightened?
    1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

It's not on the pulley correctly. Either it was installed wrong or it jumped the grooves on the alternator.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Yeah, i checked under my hood a couple weeks ago and it was all fine. I remember the belt being on the pulley correctly. But today it was off the pulley and all shredded up. Why would the belt just slip off like that?
      1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

Comment

Originally posted by RICEATER94Bird
        Yeah, i checked under my hood a couple weeks ago and it was all fine. I remember the belt being on the pulley correctly. But today it was off the pulley and all shredded up. Why would the belt just slip off like that?
        Did belt have cracks in it when you looked last?
        1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Comment

No, the belt has been in perfect shape. This seems really weird to me

Comment

Check the damper/crank pulley. Make sure the hard rubber that holds the inner and outer halves of the damper together is not broken, allowing the crank pulley to wobble. Then check the belt tensioner. Make sure the pointer is in the correct operating range. Check the A/C and PS pullies as well, but they usually don't come loose.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X