Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 camaro clutch problem. please help

96 camaro 3.8

My friends 96 camaro gave him some trouble when he downshifted. he said it made some noise, and wouldnt go back in gear. he had it towed home, this is what i have done...

I couldnt get the car into gear while it was running. with the clutch pedal fully pressed down, if i tried to put it in gear, the car would try to move. I jacked up the rear tires, started it in first, with the clutch pedal fully pressed the tires would still spin, but i could drive normally all the way through 4th gear unable to replicate the sound.

SO i roll the car down the driveway, put it in first and start it (with the clutch fully pressed down) it tries to move a little, but not much. i hit the brake and i notice some hesitation from the engine because of the pressure from something to do with the clutch not working properly, but its not enough to make the car stall. I release the brake, and slowly release the clutch and the car starts to drive normally. all of a sudden i get a loud sound from underneath the car. it is somewhat of a grinding, but not a metal on metal sound, more of a loud fast clicking. so i give it a little more gas and the car doesnt want to move that much, just continue making the sound. shut the car off, that is that....

today we decide to change the cluth, only way to get it up the hill in the driveway is to put it in reverse and start it. not too bad, no bad sounds, car lurches a little when i start it. i get it into the garage of course shuttting it off just in time before it tries to drive itself through the wall because it wouldnt come out of gear. car is up on jackstands now and we are ready to proceed, but trying to get opinions on what it may be before we begin the big job.

It sounds like a hydraulic problem.

My LT1 car is doing the same thing intermittently. The fluid was thick and black. I've run 2 1/2 bottles of fluid through it and it's better but it seems as if I'll still have to replace the master cylinder.

My ride is here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR

Comment

Originally posted by ToplessFormula
      It sounds like a hydraulic problem.
      I second that.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
      X