Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT1 Starting problem

Hey guys,

I recently bought a 1996 Trans am and not long after, the radiator cracked. I had just finished replacing the radiator and I was running the car to get the coolant level refilled. Well, I shut it off to prevent coolant from overflowing out of the top of the radiator (guess I put a little too much in), and when I tried to start it back up, it just kept turning over. If I let it turn over for a while, it would be barely running and would sometimes eventually get to idle speed. Also, I noticed that both my fans run before the car even warms up. It started up this morning after cooling down all night, but after a few times of starting it, it did the same thing. Also, even when the car starts up fine, I noticed that the SES light was on (wasn't on before). I never had a problem starting the car before.

I'm only 17 and I'm really just starting to learn. I don't know if this problem is something related to something I did wrong, or if it's just a coincidence. Alls I know is that I'm pretty frustrated! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
    Mods:
    "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
    Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Crane 1.5rrs
    Comp high tech pushrods
    Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
    SLP Loudmouth II
    SLP Cold air intake
    PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
    UMI adjustable panhard
    UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

The PCM will turn the fans on if an SES condition is triggered, so the SES light is on and the fans are running, that's normal. First thing is to get the car scanned (if possible) to find out what's triggering the SES light. I'm assuming you swapped or installed a new coolant sensor into the radiator, right?
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Yeh, I took the old sensor off the radiator I pulled out and slipped it on the new radiator. I've been trying to think of ways I can try to get the car scanned, but I really cant drive it anywhere right now...
      Mods:
      "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
      Pro 5.0 Shifter
      Crane 1.5rrs
      Comp high tech pushrods
      SLP Loudmouth II
      SLP Cold air intake
      UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

You are going to have to get it scanned. The good thing is since you have a 1996 you can use an OBDII scanner which are getting pretty cheap. You really should invest in one. It will be the first tool you grab when something goes wrong.

Oh and FYI the low coolant sensor does not go through the PCM so it is not the problem. All it does is light the light on the dash when the coolant is low and when it quits working just to irritate you.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Check for coolant splashed on the OptiSpark distributor. Make sure the wires and the distributor are dried off. Pull the plug wires, coil wire and Opti harness connector, and make sure the wires and terminals are not wet or corroded. Getting the distributor wet in an LT1 can cause the problem you are experiencing. Whenever you work on the coolant system, pack the area of the OptiSpark with rags to prevent it from getting wet.

There's also the possibility you knocked a wire off a sensor, like the coolant temp sensor in the water pump housing. That will cause an SES light, constant fans and hard starting.

But, as mentioned, scan it for codes. You can get an OBD-II code reader for $50 at Harbor freight. Spend a little more, and you can get an OBD-II code reader + scanner, that will prove even better in tracking down problems.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Some progress! After really taking a good look through all the wires and sensors, I found out that my engine coolant temperature sensor that is at the bottom of the water pump was unattached. I tried to reattach it, but realized that the plastic plug in was missing. I called up my local auto parts store and they have it on order for tomorrow. I pray that this fixes the problem!

Could someone explain why having the coolant temperature sensor unplugged/not working causes the car to barely start? Why does it start cold, and not when it's warmed up? Is it just because the computer senses something wrong?

Everyone's help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys! I'll let you know if the problem is fixed once I get that part.
            Mods:
            "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
            Pro 5.0 Shifter
            Crane 1.5rrs
            Comp high tech pushrods
            SLP Loudmouth II
            SLP Cold air intake
            UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

Originally posted by SeanC
              Some progress! After really taking a good look through all the wires and sensors, I found out that my engine coolant temperature sensor that is at the bottom of the water pump was unattached. I tried to reattach it, but realized that the plastic plug in was missing. I called up my local auto parts store and they have it on order for tomorrow. I pray that this fixes the problem!

Could someone explain why having the coolant temperature sensor unplugged/not working causes the car to barely start? Why does it start cold, and not when it's warmed up? Is it just because the computer senses something wrong?

Everyone's help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys! I'll let you know if the problem is fixed once I get that part.
              When the car is cold, the computer bypasses many of the sensors and runs the car based on pre-computed tables stored in memory. once the car is up to operating temperatures, the computer switches over to sensor readings. When that temperature reading is inconsistant with what everything else is reading the hard starting issue comes into play. The temperature sensor is an integral part of the fuel mixture end of the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                You are going to have to get it scanned. The good thing is since you have a 1996 you can use an OBDII scanner which are getting pretty cheap. You really should invest in one. It will be the first tool you grab when something goes wrong.

Oh and FYI the low coolant sensor does not go through the PCM so it is not the problem. All it does is light the light on the dash when the coolant is low and when it quits working just to irritate you.
                Well I wasn't saying it would, just asking to make sure that was done. Sheesh lol

And I'll second what was said about the coolant sensor on the WP. When I was buttoning up my Z a few months ago we test-fired it without the sensor hooked up. She started great the first time, took a lot after that. Hopefully this is the same issue for you.
                Steve
                79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Alright guys, I finally was able to buy a new sensor. I tried plugging in the wiring harness and it doesn't fit! So, I was able to get a hold of a new wiring harness plug in and it fits into the sensor perfectly. My question is, is this just something where they stopped making the factory plug in that is on my car, and switched to a newer style plug (the newer plug I guess is a "weather pac" plug while the old one has no weather sealing at all)? I'm planning on just clipping off the old plug in on the wiring harness on my car and soldering on the new one. Does this sound good to you guys?
                  Mods:
                  "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
                  Pro 5.0 Shifter
                  Crane 1.5rrs
                  Comp high tech pushrods
                  SLP Loudmouth II
                  SLP Cold air intake
                  UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

Are you still talking about the coolant level sensor?

If so, there are two different part #'s listed on Shoebox's website. Which one did you buy?

http://shbox.com/1/low_coolant.jpg
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

No, i'm talking about the engine coolant temperature sensor that the ECU reads
                      Mods:
                      "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
                      Pro 5.0 Shifter
                      Crane 1.5rrs
                      Comp high tech pushrods
                      SLP Loudmouth II
                      SLP Cold air intake
                      UMI adjustable panhard