Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th Master Brake Cylinder....?

My brakes went out this morning......

This is the 4th time I'm having to replace the master brake cylinder!

All of them do the same thing - the fluid leaks out of where it's mounted to the booster.

They last about 8-9 months.......

What do you guys think? Am I getting defective ones from Autozone or could it be the booster???
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

You wouldn't happen to be using silicone brake fluid would you?
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

No....just the normal stuff.

I had to replace both the master cylinder and the booster to fix it completely.

Looks like fluid from the master cylinder leaked into the booster and it ate through the diaphram.

It was actually kind of fun . . . . the brakes went out in a small town called "Los Fresnos" and I drove it to Harlingen, TX to get it fixed - about 40 miles!

I used the emergency brake and of course.....the horn, but I made it.
      Darrin C
      '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
      07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
        You mean you don't normally drive that way?
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
          No....just the normal stuff.

I had to replace both the master cylinder and the booster to fix it completely.

Looks like fluid from the master cylinder leaked into the booster and it ate through the diaphram.

It was actually kind of fun . . . . the brakes went out in a small town called "Los Fresnos" and I drove it to Harlingen, TX to get it fixed - about 40 miles!

Just wondering. I have had a problem with silicone brake fluid before and I have heard of a few other people with the same problem. Just wondering.

Glad to hear you got it fixed and that you didn't get hurt driving it while it was broken.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks Guys!
            Darrin C

Comment

Working...
            X