Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to remove steering intermediate shaft?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to remove steering intermediate shaft?

I am shortly going to be replacing my RAG joint with a kit from unbalanced engineering.

When removing the steering intermediate shaft to drill out the rivets, what's the easiest way to do it? I can't see anything in the Haynes book describing the process.

I'm assuming you just unbolt the shaft at the steering box end, and slide it off the splines of the section nearest the firewall?

Is it easiest to tackle it from above or underneath the car?

*Remove the plastic shaft covers.
    *Remove the bolt that secures the top portion of the shaft to the steering column.
    *Remove the bolt on the lower pinch coupling.
    *Raise the lower section of the shaft from the power steering rack,
    It may be necessary to spred open the pinch coupling with a screwdriver.
    *Slide the top portion of the shaft off the steering column.

Drill out your rivets, replace the rag joint and reassemble in the reverse order.

Do not move the steering wheel once the shaft has been removed, spinning the wheel could damage the airbag harness assembly.

Comment

Thanks Joe, sounds pretty straightforward. I'll be able to get to everything without having to jack the car up by the sound of it? My car is a 3rd Gen '87 Firebird,

Comment

Yeah, what he said. You'll actually be doing work both underneath and above. It shouldn't take you more than about half a day.
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

OK. I have the car stored in a smallish garage at the moment, and was wondering if I'd be able to do the job without moving the car. As I'll have to get underneath too, sounds like it'll be going outside.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

My steering wheel is slightly off center. If I were to replace the rag-joint, would centering the steering wheel prior to reinstalling the shaft solve the problem?
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A
            Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Nope. The orientation of the shaft stays the same, so if the steering wheel is slightly off, it will continue to be slightly off. This is, of course, assuming that the problem is not the rag joint itself, in which case, I'd replace that thing immediately.
              Steve

Comment

So then, how do I center my steering wheel? What's the process?
                Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

In relation to the steering column or in relation to the wheels?
                  Steve

Comment

In relation to the wheels.

I'm pretty sure the alignment is spot on.
                    Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

If the alignment is correct, then you would actually want to change the steering wheel alignment in relation to the steering column. I believe you can pull the steering wheel off and rotate it and tighten it down to re-align the wheel with the column. One of our more knowledgeable members can probably shed more light on this.
                      Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X