No announcement yet.

Traction Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not to contradict anyone or step on toes or anything but my 93 will sit there and spin all day if i power brake but if you jump on it hard without that a light comes on the dash showing a spinning tire and it dogs down. No button to deactivate? I know the 93's are totally diff animals though. Just curious if it applied, maybe its all controlled in the computer itself on the 93-97 lt1's when they don't have an on/off switch. I mean i got on it the other night and it was a little cold out when i did i went sideways until that light came on then boom, took power away from me almost like a stall then straightened up and shut off. I could post my rpo codes out the glovebox if it would help.
    93 Red Trans Am, LT1, Auto, Custom CAI, Polished TB (mostly just looks nice lol), Flowmaster Catback, on headers, cam, and a few other goodies to get here. Debating on which electric water pump to use and whether or not MSD is that much better on these cars than the opti. More to come later.

Comment

Originally posted by Red93TA
      not to contradict anyone or step on toes or anything but my 93 will sit there and spin all day if i power brake but if you jump on it hard without that a light comes on the dash showing a spinning tire and it dogs down. No button to deactivate? I know the 93's are totally diff animals though. Just curious if it applied, maybe its all controlled in the computer itself on the 93-97 lt1's when they don't have an on/off switch. I mean i got on it the other night and it was a little cold out when i did i went sideways until that light came on then boom, took power away from me almost like a stall then straightened up and shut off. I could post my rpo codes out the glovebox if it would help.
      ASR was not even an option in 1993.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

then why does the light come on ?
        could it be because the computer in it has been replaced?
        93 Red Trans Am, LT1, Auto, Custom CAI, Polished TB (mostly just looks nice lol), Flowmaster Catback, on headers, cam, and a few other goodies to get here. Debating on which electric water pump to use and whether or not MSD is that much better on these cars than the opti. More to come later.

Comment

Can you post of pic of your cluster / light that comes on?

93's didn't have factory ASR and it seems insane that someone would add it. As I noted 2.73 LT1 cars will bog off the line, sometimes not enough there on sticky roads to burn them w/o torque braking.

Comment

The 93 Owner's Manual does not show a light on the dash that is a "spinning tire". GM made a big deal out of introducing traction control (aka ASR). They said it was new for 94, and put it in the sales literature for the Firebird, but they never sold a 94 with TCS becasue they hadn't finished the design. It was introduced in the 95 models, as documented in reference sources like Camaro White Book. The Firebird Red Book incorrectly shows it as new for 94, probably based on the erroneous sales literature.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
              Does your car have a large plastic box sitting on top of the driver's side valve cover, with a cable connecting it to the throttle body quadrent? If it has traction control, you will have that box. If you do not have the box, you don't have traction control.
              The Box in question...

My DD
              2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

ok guys i can't take a pic but apparently what i was seeing was not the traction control it was unrelated because i did it again and actually paid attention and the other light that comes on actually says Low Trac and its at the bottom left corner of the tach. There is something that looks like a spinning wheel that comes on at the same time as that but its not a spinning wheel I'm not sure what it is. Being that i always drive with the steering wheel up high I didn't notice the low trac light before just the little round one that i have no idea what it is. I'll try and get pics but i don't have a digi cam just my cell phone, and neither of these lights cycle on with the key on/off light the ses light and all those do. There is no box on my valve cover like the one in the pic and yes i am certain its a 93 but if the wheels start spinning both of those lights come on. Unless i'm power braking then neither do.

Comment

Low Trac is an information light telling you that wheel speed is not consistent on all 4 wheels. It is an auxiliary function of the speed sensors for ABS. Even my FWD Grand Prix has this (and no traction control).
                  Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

ok cool then the bogging is non related just a sensor tellin me the wheels are spinning

Comment

Rather than take pictures, you might want to read your Owner's Manual. There are complete details of every dash light, showing what it looks like and what it means. A round light that might possibly be interpreted as a "spinning wheel" might be the red light that indicates problems with the brake system.

If you don't have an Owner's manual, Shoebox has a link to them on his website. Here is the manual for your 93. Look at pages 98 et. seq. for the details for the instrumentation.

https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2cont...93firebird.pdf
                      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                      X