Question about the optispark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the optispark

Im currently in a 93 Firebird with a V6 and am planning on doing an engine swap possibly by next summer and have concerns about the optispark. Ive been told that the early optis were prone to failing due to water and not being vented. Ive read that you can convert from the early optis to the later vented ones by swapping out the timing cover, timing gears, cam/ or at least to the longer dowel. Is that it? or have I missed something. Ive also run across a few kits that allow you to move the coils up onto the valve covers and other such set ups. Ive got most of my swap stuff already but its off of a 93 V8 car. If I get my hands on a LT1...can I use the later opti with my 93 V8 harness?
    LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

http://para.noid.org/~muttvette/opti.html
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Thanks Rob...I made sure to save that so I wouldnt forget and could use it when it comes time to. So far for the swap I've got a '93 V8 engine harness, the radiator/fans, instrument cluster, and fuel pump. I know that I still have to get the engine cradle, complete exhaust, and an automatic transmission. A buddy of mine has offered to sell me a motor from a '96 Trans Am for $500....I just wasn't sure if it could use it with the computer from a '93 and what I should expect to run into.
      LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Working...
      X