3rd Gen Wheel and Tire Sizes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen Wheel and Tire Sizes

I'm lookin to get new rims for my 92 RS. The old rims just aren't worth refinishing anymore. Just wondering if anyone knew what the width, offset, backspace and bolt circle are. I'm looking to purchase C6 Corvette rims but I'm sure they are probably way different and probably not worth making fit. Any info is appreciated.
    1992 RS 305 TBI, 700r4, 3:42 gears, Detroit TrueTrac Limited Slip, MSD wires, coil, cap & rotor, Hypertech Chip, 180 degree thermostat, 200 degree fan switch,

You can get wide "adapters" to allow the use of the large offset/deep backspace Corvette wheels on a 3rd Gen. The adapters are expensive, at least if you get good ones. And I would NOT use anything less than the best.

This site sells the adapters and has full info on the 3rd Gen wheels and the Corvette wheels. His figures for the C6 wheels are off a bit, so if you do decide on those, post here and I will give you the correct numbers. Skulte's adapters are excellent quality.

Main Page:

http://www.skulte.com/index.php/cPath/21

Measurements:

http://www.skulte.com/adapterfaq.html

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Yeah, this whole backspace/offset/spacer deal is confusing the heck out of me. Never really done it before so i'm kinda new at it. The rims i'm looking at now are:

rear - 18"x9.5" with +56mm offset & 7.45" backspace

front - 17"x8.5" with +58mm offset

these are replica C6 rims. It would be nice to know if they would fit though. Is more than 8 inch too wide for the front?? And I don't want any tire or rim sticking out past the fenders either. Stock outer width would be my preference(or at least as close to stock as possible).

I'm also looking at American Racing Rebels

front and rear - 17"x9" with +24mm offset & 6" backspace

These are really the only two rims that I like at the moment and I have no idea if they'll fit so if you can figure it out for me that'd be great. I could probably take the time and get it right but I'll gladly use your knowledge over my own. Thanks!
      1992 RS 305 TBI, 700r4, 3:42 gears, Detroit TrueTrac Limited Slip, MSD wires, coil, cap & rotor, Hypertech Chip, 180 degree thermostat, 200 degree fan switch,

Comment

I know a lot more about the 4th Gens than I do the 3rd Gens. What I would recommend is that you contact Skulte directly, and see what he recommends. He specializes in the 3rd Gen, and knows a lot more about the exact fender shapes, etc. I've sent him e-mails, looking for thin, lug- or hub-centric spacers for the Weld "skinnies" I run on the front of my car, and he has been very responsive.

Offset and backspace are mathematically related, as a function of the width, and the thickness of the flange that holds the tire beads on the wheel. Its not hard to calculate the wheel part of it. But its the exact shape of the fender wells that I don't know about. The 3rd Gens also complicate it by requiring different offsets for the front and rear wheels. Some of the 3rd Gens left the factory with spacers on the rear wheels.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for all of your help.
          Wierd you mentioned that some 3rd Gens came from the factory with spacers, cuz mine has spacers already on the rear wheels. And I was actually able to figure the whole spacing issue out. I was making it, in my head, more difficult to understand than it really is. I actually got a pretty good CAD drawing I made that I can pretty much enter in any backspace and offset and then I can find what kind of spacer I need. I have yet to figure out the whole wheel well space thing, but there is actually a picture on that website of an 87 IROC with the same C6 rims I'm looking at and it lists what spacers that person used. So I know they will fit, it's just a matter of figuring it out myself so I know for sure it will work. Thanks again for your help and I'll gladly take any other recommendations you or anyone else reading this may have.

Comment

Working...
          X