BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power?

Reason I ask is because Shell is a top-tier gas (I'm sure everyone already knows that). But, I've been using BP Ultimate for years and the car always ran great using BP. Both are 93 octane.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what's better for our cars? BP or Shell?

sunoco ultra 94 goes in mine when i can find it. 93 from bp is good. i basically run any 93 octane, nothing lower.
    87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

76 only for mine trio. The Shell stations around here are horrible and BP has all but disappeared.
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Z Ya Later
        76 only for mine trio. The Shell stations around here are horrible and BP has all but disappeared.
        Only 91 here. but with it getting close to $3.50/GALLON I dont know if That will be for long.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I'd say it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Both Shell and BP (along with all of the major oil companies) spend big $$ developing their additive packages to make sure they do what they say they do and that is ultimately what you are buying, their additive package.

Stick with a major branded fuel and you should be fine, as long as the store owner is not cheating the system...

The Mom-n-Pop no brand station across the street from the major that's $.05 cheaper per gallon is that way for a reason. You DO get what you pay for in most of these cases.
          My DD
          2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

There are only a handful of refineries in the US. that all the gasonline comes from. Less since Katrina. The only major difference, as sneitzel pointed out, is the additives. I'd have to agree with the 6 of one half dozen of the other. Hell even under the controled conditions of NASCAR they found water in their fuel two weeks ago.
            Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Always 93 octane for me.

On Shell 93 Octane, I get 230 miles to the tank (driving in town and always pushing it).

On Texaco 93 Octane, I get 260 miles to the tank (driving in town and always pushing it)

We don't have any BP stations around San Antonio......

Brand Availability may skew your survey results.......
              Darrin C
              '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
              07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
                Brand Availability may skew your survey results.......
                Yeah, I kinda figured that.

In NJ, there is no 76. Texaco changed over to Shell. Sunoco is 93 (used to be 94).

So, this is what's available in my area:
                BP
                Shell
                Sunoco
                Exxon
                Lukoil
                Hess
                Gulf
                Citgo
                Valero

Some lesser known names:
                Gasco
                Raceway
                Liberty

Of course there's a Wawa station here and there.

Comment

here in ohio we have sheetz, bp, sunoco (barely any anymore), speedway, circle k, get go, citgo (also rare). no shell, no amaco, no 76, no exxon.

that's why i didn't vote, we don't have a shell here, so i have no way to compare.
                  87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

The Sunoco by my house still has 94 (at least that's what it says on the pump). It better be! I stopped going to shell, since they try to gouge you with their "premium" diesel fuel. It's usually about 50 cents more per gallon for fuel that usually makes my truck run worse. I don't even think there is actually "premium" diesel, I think they just make that crap up.
                    Dave

Independent AMSOIL Dealer

94 Z28 M6 - exhaust, K&N drop in, and lots of plans...

DD 98 Ram 2500 CTD (might be faster than my Z!)

Comment

I use RaceTrack or QT all the time. Less expensive and same mileage as I got in teh past with big name brands. With over 120,000 miles on teh ragtop, I have never had a gas related problem, and don't expect I will
                      2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Originally posted by darkhorsecustoms
                        I don't even think there is actually "premium" diesel, I think they just make that crap up.
                        There is such a thing as premium diesel fuel. Regular diesel fuel will have a cetane rating above 40 and most premiums clock in above 50 along with having higher additive content etc., much like premium gasolines.
                        My DD
                        2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
                          We don't have any BP stations around San Antonio......
                          I knew of one (corner of Bandera and Wurzbach) but it closed and is now a Bill Miller.......Imagine that!!!
                          My DD
                          2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

BP all the way.

BP has kept my tank stal clear and my fuel system in perfect shape. That's enough for me to go back over and over again.

That, and the apperance of BP stations in GA are cleaner in general.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                            Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                            B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                            Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                            Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I was just curious if I should be using something else since a few other boards seem to like Shell. But since BP works for me and more votes on this board were for BP, looks like I'm sticking with BP (been using Ultimate even as far back as when it was Amoco).

Comment

Working...
                              X