Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What material should I use to fill gouge in plastic bumper cover?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What material should I use to fill gouge in plastic bumper cover?

Someone hit my TA this morning and put four license plate bolt gouges in the rear plastic bumper cover. I was going to sand the the holes out and then probably will them with "something" prime and have it repainted.

Anyone know what that something might be? Is there a certain plastic filler that I use? I assume I can't use regular body filler on a plastic bumper.

Thanks!

...Tim

Use 3M flexible bumper repair. It's in a tube, squeegie the stuff into place, let it dry and sand smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      Use 3M flexible bumper repair. It's in a tube, squeegie the stuff into place, let it dry and sand smooth.
      Ah! I was just about to make a thread about this. I have a hairline break in my nose on the raro. Can this be found at like an autozone or pepboys? Dumb question but thought i would ask before i make the trip.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Not sure, I'll check there, or NAPA, or go to my uncle's autobody shop!!

...Tim

Comment

Originally posted by '94 White Devil
          Ah! I was just about to make a thread about this. I have a hairline break in my nose on the raro. Can this be found at like an autozone or pepboys? Dumb question but thought i would ask before i make the trip.
          Hairline breaks or cracks are little more difficult to repair since you don't really have a big groove or dent to apply the stuff into. The less material you have, the less is there to stick and hold things together.

Not sure how to do yours.
          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

This stuff is not for adhering cracks back together. I have however, fiberglassed a small repair patch on the inside of the plastic bumper, then filled the remaining low spots with the 3M filler and sanded smooth. Perfect results. If you try it any other way, it's not going to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              This stuff is not for adhering cracks back together.
              That's what I was trying to say.

I did the repair as you described on the "panel" below the door jamb. It was cracked and I used woven fiber glass band and epoxy on the inside to glue it together and the body shop did the rest on the outside with filler.

The guy at the shop claimed that he usually "welded" cracked plastic pieces.
              97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
                That's what I was trying to say.

I did the repair as you described on the "panel" below the door jamb. It was cracked and I used woven fiber glass band and epoxy on the inside to glue it together and the body shop did the rest on the outside with filler.

The guy at the shop claimed that he usually "welded" cracked plastic pieces.
                Yep - they weld them with a hot air torch and plasic rods. You could pick up a cheap one at Harbor Freight and try your luck. Pretty sure you need an air supply to make it work.

Comment

Working...
                X