Timing gears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing gears

Didnt know if they made those noisy timing gears for the lt1 or not cant seem to find any. I prefer the gears to a chain if anyone knows a site that offers them any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    '97 Trans Am - B&M Short Throw - B&M Line Lock - k&N Cold air - 6 speed - Lt1 T-Tops - Lowered

Are you referring to a gear drive asembly..
    2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
    1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
    2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
    2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
    2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

yea theres the nosiy ones which will get old quick and then theirs the quite ones
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

They don't make a set specifically for the LT1. If you do use a Gen I SBC set, you will have to switch to an electric water pump, since there will be no gear to drive the stock water pump. A guy who used to post here many years ago put a Pete Jackson "silent" gear drive setup in his LT1. Took some machining of the timing cover for clearance. After a very short period of time, he pulled it off, because is was ungodly loud. The noise will require that you eliminate your knock sensor.

There is little if anything to be gained with the gear drive. I think it was Engine Masters magazine that did a comparo on top-of-the-line chain, belt and gear drives, on a very high output engine. The differences in power were miniscule.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
        X