Got a new car !!!! and a bad Opti??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new car !!!! and a bad Opti??

So the search is over! Finaly got me a V8 car a 96 Black WS6 six speed Anywho so I take it to the car wash because driving it home it got a little dirty and as soon as the water sprays over the hood the check engine light comes on I check everything out and nothing seems wrong, engine is still running fine the car has 66k on it and is bone stock??? Sound like a bad Opti to you guys? and if so what is the best replacement for it??

P.S. after about an hour or so (after it dried) check engine light went out??
    Red 97 V6 (STOCK), Black 96 Ram Air WS6 M6 5.0 PRO, skip shift delete basicaly stock, for now . . .

Get a scanner on that bad boy...

The opti is more inclined to failure with a direct spray.

Does the carwash have a "underbody" spray? That would do it.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Without pulling the code, you are just guessing, and running the possibility of wasting money on the wrong part. You can get an OBD-II code scanner for as little as $50 ar Harbor Freight. It is an essential part of owning a 96 or newer F-Body.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Is there a better OBD scanner? I'd rather spend the money and get a good one than wish I had gotten a better one.
        Red 97 V6 (STOCK), Black 96 Ram Air WS6 M6 5.0 PRO, skip shift delete basicaly stock, for now . . .

Comment

I got an Actron PocketScan

Just for the point of scanning, finding out the code and erasing.

Actron PocketScan

It's very very basic...$60 bucks at AdvanceAuto.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

u could get a shop style one but why spend like 2grand? try ebay to find an older OBD-II scanner. all u need is the domestic GM one for your car
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

If you have a laptop, consider AutoTap, with the GM Enhanced Parameters. Scans, data logs, virtual dashboard, etc. Much more useful than a "code reader", which is what has been mentioned so for. There are other hardware and software packages from sources like Actron and AutoXray that cost nowhere near the $2000+ price of an OTC Tech-2. There is is software from Auterra and AutoTap that allows you to use a Palm as the display.

http://www.autoxray.com/

http://www.actron.com/

http://www.digimoto.com/

http://www.autotap.com/

http://www.obd2.com/

http://www.auterraweb.com/

Several sources have now come out with OBD-II dash "gauges" that allow you to monitor several PCM parameters simultaneously, include code read/clear capabilites, and other features related to perfromance.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

alright I got a scanner today an actron CP9180 AutoScanner Plus

not gonna have a chance to hook it up before work tho so I'll get back to you fellers on the codes ........

Thanks for all the help/advice so far tho everyone

little off topic but whats a good short throw kit?

Comment

Originally posted by Red97v6Bird
                  ...little off topic but whats a good short throw kit?
                  If you are happy with the feel of the stock shifter and just want a shorter throw try Lou's Short Stick. I installed one a while ago (very quick and easy) and really like it.
                  My DD
                  2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Yeah I like the shifter, kinda want to keep it factory looking. Just want the shifts to feel tighter, not so much slop between the gears. . .

Comment

Working...
                    X