Clutch master and slave cylinder went

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch master and slave cylinder went

I got in my car today and noticed that the clutch pedal went straight down to the floor. The clutch was engaging about an inch off the floor board where it usually releases an inch from the top. I barely got it in to the shop and the mechanic told me it was the master and slave cylinders blew. He replaced them and now the pedal feels a lot lighter and engages in a different spot. It engages somewhere in the middle of the top and floorboard. I have three questions-

1. Is it normal for the friction point to change after changing the cylinders?

2. I've noticed my car is leaving a trail of fluid as I drive. I'm guessing it's the fluid from my clutch. What could this possibly be due to???

3. I've been without the clutch now out of fear of losing all of the fluid in the clutch and having to go through the crap I went through this morning. How bad is clutchless shifting?

Honda Civics are starting to look real good right about now. In the past few months, I've needed to replace my heater core, get the A/C fixed, replace the slave/ master cylinders, replace the driver's side power window motor, my exhaust needs to be replaced and I'm averaging about 14 MPG around town with new plugs and wires, driving like an old lady.

Thanks in advance guys. Sorry for the rant.
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

It would be very unusual for both the master and slave to "blow" simultaneously. Are you sure that's what really happened, and are you sure he actually replaced the entire hydraulic assembly, including the master, slave and line? That's the way GM sells it. Did he just happen to have that assembly in stock, or did he have to get it from a local dealer? Can he show you the receipt for the part?
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Yeah its very strange that both the master and slave went out at the same time. I think he just took you for the money. I'd say ask for the receipt for the parts.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
        Honda Civics are starting to look real good right about now. In the past few months, I've needed to replace my heater core, get the A/C fixed, replace the slave/ master cylinders, replace the driver's side power window motor, my exhaust needs to be replaced and I'm averaging about 14 MPG around town with new plugs and wires, driving like an old lady.

Thanks in advance guys. Sorry for the rant.
        Your car is almost 13 years old man. Keep that in mind.

If it went to the floor, and is leaking fluid, then you have a leak somewhere. Could be a line, or it could have been just the slave or just the master. I doubt it was both.

Sounds like your slave went bad. Slave went out on my last car and fluid was leaking out of it. Bought a 5 dollar rebuilt kit (spring and rubber seal) and it was fixed.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess he replaced the entire assembly. There was a lot listed on my receipt, which is MIA at this point in time. I trust my mechanic 100%. They've really taken care of me, plus the company I work with has a very good relationship with their shop. They take very good care of us, just as they do with all of their customers. Their parking lot is always packed, plus the street is lined with their customers' cars due to their reputation and the work that they do. At this point, I basically have blind faith in them. I have no reason to doubt them. They've saved my butt on numerous occasions. They've never even had to keep my car over night, even if I bring it to them late in the afternoon (which says a lot considering how busy they are). Definitely not the type of people to swindle anyone.

The leak I found after they replaced the cylinders was coming from my radiator. They fixed it at no charge.

I'm not sure what to do with my car. It has a fresh tune up and I still only get 18MPG if I do a lot of highway driving. I've been getting 14MPG around town. If winters were friendlier here in NY, I'd get a Miata as a second car and work the bejesus out of the T/A. I love my car so it's hard to even think about getting rid of it, but I'm growing less and less fond of it every week. Only time will tell. I'll be getting my first full time job probably within a month, so I might be able to keep my car and get a Civic or a Sentra as a DD. I know how much potential my Trans Am has, so I'd hate to see it go since I haven't even scratched the surface of what I want to do with it. I have a hard time trying to justify why I should hold on to it though. I never race anyone, I rarely get on the gas, plus I really don't feel like getting under the hood of that thing to modify it, considering how tight it is in there. I think the cons heavily outweigh the pros here. Then again, I might just need to hear myself complain so that I'll feel better, as I've often done in the past.
          Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
          SOLD- Kinda miss it
          94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
          SOLD- Good riddance!
          2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Sounds like the master or slave went bad and he replaced the whole assembly just like GM would have done. Probably cheaper than buying one, replacing it, adding fluid, bleeding. And now you have a new master & slave.
            No F-Body right now

Comment

Working...
            X