So Here I am again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Here I am again

Ive been on here a few times and all the help I recieved was great and I appreciate it. I have 1996 WS6 Trans am bought it over the summer. Havent driven it much due to one problem after another. So I am pretty sure the previous owners dogged it. So heres my dilema she is running great except for the oil leak. I put it on the lift yesterday to change plugs out the leak is steadily getting worse. The oil pan gasket looks good it seems to be leaking above the starter. Where could it be leaking from. It also doesnt look like its coming from rt valve cover. Thanks for any advice

Sounds like the infamous LT1 Intake gasket leak. They leak in the back left hand side where the EGR tube goes down to the head. This is very common problem and the leak down onto the starter. You can let it cool and reach back there with your hand and see if it's real wet. There is some repair procedures out there, but Ken had the best right up on his site.

You can also check Rob's shoebox site for a lot of great info. I'll try to find the links and post them later..

Here's one..

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html
    2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
    1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
    2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
    2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
    2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Probably the infamous intake manifold oil leak. If this is the problem, the oil is actually leaking from the top rear of the motor.

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

Wow, two posts at the same time with infamous!

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

there are a couple of notorious leaks.....

As was mentioned, the intake oil leak. the next is the dipstick tupe could be cracked or loose. The oil pan gasket can also leak... and right around the starter too. It is also theoretically possible for oil to leak from between the head and block, but that is really rare.

Comment

You guys left out the front seals. Mine leaked from all the front seals and the intake. I'll never get the oil spot of of my garage floor.
            Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

So here I am again

Hey thanks for the info guys, So I checked behind the intake and there was a large amount of oil there so Ill check it out hope fully it will fix it.

Comment

Here's a how-to on the intake leak repair. Don't spare the RTV or you'll end up doing it twice.

http://www.projecttransam.com/projects2.asp
                Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Working...
                X