have a question about warranty..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have a question about warranty..

you guys have been pretty knowledgeable about this kinda stuff in the past so here it goes..

I just brought a new 2002 S-10 ZR2 that still has 12,000 miles left on the warranty. Now i have never had a car under warranty before so this stuff is kinda new for me. When i was doing the paper work i asked the salesman how the warranty transfered and stuff and he told me that the warranty stayed with the car and that they would run the VIN at the dealership to see what kinda warranty it had and stuff. and that the Deductable was $100 cause it was used. and that new cars had a $50 deductable. now again i have never had a car under warranty but i have never heard of anyone having to pay a deductable to have warranty work done. So last night i was talking to my friend who has a 2002 Tahoe and he brought his truck in for electrical work covered under warranty and he said they didn't charge him anything.. he just brought the car in and they fixed it and gave it back to him.. So what is the truth here? also does the dealer charge anything to look at the car if its under warranty? I don't wanna get any hidden charges if i need work done.

I don't think there should be any charge for transferring of a warranty. It is my understanding the warranty comes on the car...doesn't matter who owns it. 3 yrs or 36,000 miles regardless. I know I wasn't charged when I bought my 2001 firebird (used)

Anyone know if I am misinformed?

Comment

there is no deductable that im aware of on warranty......never heard of this!???????????? new or used... warranty is with the car. read the warranty section in the owners mannual to verify and show it to them.........

we just got a 2003 Envoy....it has no deductable......... it damn well better not.........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

deductible

It only comes into play with the optional extended waranty. The more deductible you have on them the cheaper the up front cost. The standard 3/36 is 0 deductible. As far as tranferring there is no cost for the 3/36, it does stay with the car. To transfer an extended warranty there can be a fee involved (depends on the company) I don't think GM charges to xfer their ext. warr.
        NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
        (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

Sounds to me like there is an extended warranty issue here. The factory warranty is bumper to bumper for on average 3yr/36K miles. (check yours). There is no deductible, simply drop it off and it's fixed free. Now extended warranties are a different matter. The are often purchased as an extension of the factory 3 yr/36K miles. Meaning that the extended warranty takes when the factory one runs out. Here is where deductables and transfer fees come into play with many policies. Extended warranties are similar to an insurance plan. When something goes wrong with the car, an adjuster comes out and looks at it and verifies whether it is a warranty issue, whether or not the warranty is void (and believe me they are just itching to void a warranty to avoid paying out a claim), etc..... Then you pay the deductable and the rest is covered.

Dealers have many different plans they can sell you, some with no deductible, some come from GM, but most are little known companies. It is easy to get ripped off by extended warranties, there are too many hidden pitfalls sold to the unsuspecting consumer who thinks that their 100K mile warranty is just an extension of the factory warranty. I've been down that road before and done serious battle. IMHO, I would check every bit of paperwork from the time of sale and investigate your warranty. Here is a little story about extended warranties:

I just bought a brand new '93 40th Anniversary Corvette convertible. Sticker was $48,800 and after negotiating it down, one stipulation was an added extended warranty. Well, when I decided to get a ZR1 two years later, I went to cash in the unused extended warranty. Remember when I said the extended warranty is supposed to take over at the conclusion of the factory 3/36? Upon trying to cash it in, I was informed that the extended warranty superceded the factory warranty right back to the original in service date and they tried to screw my by offering me half of what the policy cost stating "It is in the terms and conditions". Basically I got screwed on that end and at the conclusion of that fight, I informed that dealer that I would nety is void (and believe me they are just itching to void a warranty to avoid paying out a claim), etc..... Then you pay the deductable and the rest is covered.

Dealers have many different plans they can sell you, some with no deductible, some come from GM, but most are little known companies. It is easy to get ripped off by extended warranties, there are too many hidden pitfalls sold to the unsuspecting consumer who thinks that their 100K mile warranty is just an extension of the factory warranty. I've been down that road before and done serious battle. IMHO, I would check every bit of paperwork from the time of sale and investigate your warranty. Here is a little story about extended warranties:

I just bought a brand new '93 40th Anniversary Corvette convertible. Sticker was $48,800 and after negotiating it down, one stipulation was an added extended warranty. Well, when I decided to get a ZR1 two years later, I went to cash in the unused extended warranty. Remember when I said the extended warranty is supposed to take over at the conclusion of the factory 3/36? Upon trying to cash it in, I was informed that the extended warranty superceded the factory warranty right back to the original in service date and they tried to screw my by offering me half of what the policy cost stating "It is in the terms and conditions". Basically I got screwed on that end and at the conclusion of that fight, I informed that dealer that I would nety is void (and believe me they are just itching to void a warranty to avoid paying out a claim), etc..... Then you pay the deductable and the rest is covered.

I just bought a brand new '93 40th Anniversary Corvette convertible. Sticker was $48,800 and after negotiating it down, one stipulation was an added extended warranty. Well, when I decided to get a ZR1 two years later, I went to cash in the unused extended warranty. Remember when I said the extended warranty is supposed to take over at the conclusion of the factory 3/36? Upon trying to cash it in, I was informed that the extended warranty superceded the factory warranty right back to the original in service date and they tried to screw my by offering me half of what the policy cost stating "It is in the terms and conditions". Basically I got screwed on that end and at the conclusion of that fight, I informed that dealer that I would never, EVER (and believe me they are just itching to void a warranty to avoid paying out a claim), etc..... Then you pay the deductable and the rest is covered.

I just bought a brand new '93 40th Anniversary Corvette convertible. Sticker was $48,800 and after negotiating it down, one stipulation was an added extended warranty. Well, when I decided to get a ZR1 two years later, I went to cash in the unused extended warranty. Remember when I said the extended warranty is supposed to take over at the conclusion of the factory 3/36? Upon trying to cash it in, I was informed that the extended warranty superceded the factory warranty right back to the original in service date and they tried to screw my by offering me half of what the policy cost stating "It is in the terms and conditions". Basically I got screwed on that end and at the conclusion of that fight, I informed that dealer that I would never, EVER purchase anything (and that includes parts or warranty work) at their dealership ever again. The dealership was right next to my work location and I took great delight watching the dealership owner's face every thime he saw a new car (every year) parked right next to his dealership in full view of his office. To this day, 8 years later, I still will go out of town to get parts, cars, etc.......

bottom line, go over everything with a microscope and if you feel like you've been taken, consult an attorney.

Evidently there is a bug in the program that duplicates portions of your text when it gets to be a certain length. I've notified JR so it can be fixed.

Comment

Re: have a question about warranty..

Originally posted by David88GTA
            you guys have been pretty knowledgeable about this kinda stuff in the past so here it goes..

I just brought a new 2002 S-10 ZR2 that still has 12,000 miles left on the warranty. Now i have never had a car under warranty before so this stuff is kinda new for me. When i was doing the paper work i asked the salesman how the warranty transfered and stuff and he told me that the warranty stayed with the car and that they would run the VIN at the dealership to see what kinda warranty it had and stuff. and that the Deductable was $100 cause it was used. and that new cars had a $50 deductable. now again i have never had a car under warranty but i have never heard of anyone having to pay a deductable to have warranty work done. So last night i was talking to my friend who has a 2002 Tahoe and he brought his truck in for electrical work covered under warranty and he said they didn't charge him anything.. he just brought the car in and they fixed it and gave it back to him.. So what is the truth here? also does the dealer charge anything to look at the car if its under warranty? I don't wanna get any hidden charges if i need work done.
            To make it simple for you, the GM warranty(3yr/36k mile w/$0 ded.) starts at the date of the original purchase. It does not matter if you are the original owner or the eighth. Whenever you have a problem with your car, the service writer should be able to advice you if it is under the original warranty or not. Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
            X