DTC Codes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DTC Codes

I'm getting these same two codes on a pretty persistent basis P0441 and P0443. I get that these have to do with the EVAP purge solenoid. I’m guessing it is probably a vacuum issue with the solenoid? My questions are #1 is my guess correct and #2 where the heck is this solenoid? The codes only seem to pop up under hard acceleration and I can drive SES free for a couple days before this pops up.
    Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

P0441 = EVAP vacuum switch circuit low during purge

This code detects an EVAP purge solenoid stuck closed, when it is supposed to be open.

P0443 = EVAP canister purge solenoid valve circuit

This code indicates an incomplete or shorted electrical circuit on the EVAP purge solenoid. Could be a loose connector, damaged wiring or faulty purge solenoid.

The EVAP purge solenoid is on the bracket attached to the middle of the intake manifold, on the passenger side. Shoebox has a photo:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks Fred, you are the man. The connector looks to be in pretty good shape so I'm thinking the solenoid is toast. Thanks again.

Comment

Ok cleared those codes and now I have a new one P0141. I get what this is all about but I'm confused about one thing. It's a malfunction in the O2 heater circuit during a cold start. But when the code popped up the car had been run for no less than 20 minutes and was at operating temperature. It was shut off for less than 5 minutes and the code popped up when I restarted the car. Since the car wasn't really cold could this be another issue and not the O2 heater circuit itself?

Comment

Is it possible the code you got was p1441?

That would be a problem related to the EVAP vacuum switch detecting a purge solenoid stuck open, when it is supposed to be closed (non-purge)?
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I'm sure it was P0141, this is the second time it popped up. When I did the initial scan it was stored, so I cleared them all to see what might pop up again. I'll wait and see if it pops up again. So that would be odd to pop up on a car that is not cold?

Comment

Finally got around to fixing this, no more codes! Woot! Woot! Neither P0141 or P1441 have popped up since the original post either.

Comment

It is funny how one problem may create a slew of other codes- if you get a mis-fre, due to the purge solenoid sticking open, you may get random misfire codes, even, if the stumbling is bad enough, an O2 sensor going out of bounds- you can end up replacing all kinds of parts until you really get to the root cause- ask me how I know!

My purge solenoid was acting up on my S10 truck- the stumble and misfire codes were the first things I found, and, at 90,000 miles I figured that it would be good to change plugs and wires any way- Then the misfires caused an O2 code, so the O2 sensor was changed- still having the stumbles, random misfires, and so on- it really was the purge solenoid, which, to make it more 'interesting' was only acting up randomly- it would behave for weeks, then come on-

Probably something a real mechanic knows about, and would replace as a routine maintenance item any ways- oh well, live and learn-
                2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Welp the P0141 came back. Car's running fine so I'm not real worried about it, but how can I tell which O2 the code is coming from?

Comment

P0141 = B1/S2 Heated oxygen sensor heater circuit.

B1 = Bank 1 = left = drivers side = cyls 1/3/5/7
                    S2 = Position 2 = AFTER-cat

The PCM looks at how long it takes for the O2 sensor to start putting out a signal, and comparing that time to a tabular value based on average exhaust flow rate. Test is run from a cold start only.

The problem could be a faulty connection to the heater in the sensor. The heater circuit is the black and brown harness wires, and the corresponding black and pink sensor wires, according to the diagrams on Shoebox's site.
                    Fred

Comment

Thanks Fred. With all the oil leaks I've buttoned up I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the connector is caked with crud and the connection is intermittently failing. I really need to somehow clean up the underside but I'm very hesitant to just go willy nilly blasting it with a pressure washer.

Comment

Working...
                      X