Headers Or High-Flow Cats+Customer Y-Pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headers Or High-Flow Cats+Customer Y-Pipe

Well I live in Cailfornia where its that you cant run Long Tube Headers.

Option #1
    So I would have to go with Mid's (if they dont relocate the Cats) or some shorties.

Option#2
    On the other hand I heard that the stock Manifolds flow just about as good as shorties. Therefor I would say just get some High-Flow cats and Customer Y-Pipe.

Option #2 would cost a little more but I think would be a better option. What do you guys think Would be the best choice?
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

do you think you'll be able to pass the nazi smog test out there with high flow cats?
    87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Originally posted by MunsonGTA
      do you think you'll be able to pass the nazi smog test out there with high flow cats?
      I passed in my lt1 with a hi flow cat
      2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Comment

I live in NJ, which has the same issues you do in California. I decided to go with LT4 stainless manifolds. Only a handful were ever produced, and you'll be hard pressed to find them, but the stock manifolds can be made to flow "better" with simple porting. From what I've seen, the small performance gain from a set of uncoated shorties was not worth the issues (at least for me). Coated...well there are potential thermal gains, but again, not worth all of the trouble for me.

I don't think I'm leaving much on the table vs. going with shorties. With my bolt-ons, I put down 292 hp, 30x(?) ft/lbs to the wheels. I'm happy...

Now, if only I could get away with long tubes...
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Al 96 Ram Air T/A, You have an LT1. Im running an LS1. They are different. and for the work put into getting the headers off to just port, id rather change them than spend $100-300 to get the stockers porter (which i have never heard anyone do). Shorties do help. My brother got shorties on his 96 z and they made a diff. As for the High Flow cats, I can get away with them.
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

any high flow cat is illegal on any OBDII vehicle in California. that is the law, however you can get lucky.
            -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
            2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Are 96 Z's OBDII?

My brother has a Random Tech Y-pipe with cats and its 100% legal. From my understanding as long as it does not relocate the cats your good to go.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

When you go get your emissions done, what do they do?

In GA they connect to the OBD and run the test...as long as your OBD is ready and there isn't a SES light, you pass.

No visual inspection or anything...no sniffer, no dyno.

Do they do all of that in CA even with OBDII?

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

oh yeah they do it all. On my honda I had to go to some that would Hook it up with the visual b/c the header or the intake didnt have carb#'s. Passed the Sniffer.

The T/A they just connected the OBDII and did a quick visual. Asked about the SLP Lid and I told him thats from the Dealer and he believed it. Then he looked under for the Cats then did the Sniffer on the rollers. One test at high speed and one at low speed. Then I believe the average it out and that tells you weather or not it passes.
                  Its horrible.
                  Eddie
                  2000 M6 Trans Am
                  Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                    Al 96 Ram Air T/A, You have an LT1. Im running an LS1. They are different. and for the work put into getting the headers off to just port, id rather change them than spend $100-300 to get the stockers porter (which i have never heard anyone do). Shorties do help. My brother got shorties on his 96 z and they made a diff. As for the High Flow cats, I can get away with them.

Duh...didn't notice that. My bad...
                    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                      oh yeah they do it all. On my honda I had to go to some that would Hook it up with the visual b/c the header or the intake didnt have carb#'s. Passed the Sniffer.

The T/A they just connected the OBDII and did a quick visual. Asked about the SLP Lid and I told him thats from the Dealer and he believed it. Then he looked under for the Cats then did the Sniffer on the rollers. One test at high speed and one at low speed. Then I believe the average it out and that tells you weather or not it passes.
                      Its horrible.
                      Oh my goodness! Insane!

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

If you look at the LS1 manifolds, you'll notice that they are far better in design that the previous LT1 manifolds.

The factory Y pipes need some help though as they get squashed somewhat as the driver's side downpipe crosses under the engine/transmission. you'll pick up an easy 10HP just in the Y pipe, the issue though will be whether or not the specific part is 50 state legal. The factory cat on the driver's side isn't too swift either, but that's another emissions legal issue. Technically, you cannot even replace the cats with higher flowing units unless you can prove that the factory unit was defective. I say technically, because certain states are buttheads when it comes to modifications. You also cannot relocate the cats to a different area either.

Comment

Working...
                        X