No announcement yet.

89 IROC Tach Repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just thought about it, you could convert the whole thing to digital. I have a Cyberdyne digital cluster you could pick up dirt cheap. It installs over the top of the factory cluster parts to retain original features as well as an included oil pressure sending unit. Let me know if you're interested. I bought it years back but never installed it.

Comment

problem fixed

well it took 3 ebay tachs to find a correct/working circuit board but I finally found one. The first one was from a V8 car, but it showed idle at 3k rpm and went up from there...the 2nd one the guy said it was from a V8 but the circuit board looked just like the one that was already in my car, and low and behold it behaved the same way, reading way high. And the 3rd one, ironically the cheapest of them all, $10 tach from an 82 z28, the board worked great and my tach reads accurate. I've figured out the visual diff between a v6 and v8 circuit boards, so I can spot one from a mile away now.

Just goes to show there are a lot of v6 boards floating around out there, and people think they are for v8s.

Comment

Glad you fixed your problem!

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

Woo Hoo! Good job! I'm really glad you got it straitened out.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by gage
            well it took 3 ebay tachs to find a correct/working circuit board but I finally found one. The first one was from a V8 car, but it showed idle at 3k rpm and went up from there...the 2nd one the guy said it was from a V8 but the circuit board looked just like the one that was already in my car, and low and behold it behaved the same way, reading way high. And the 3rd one, ironically the cheapest of them all, $10 tach from an 82 z28, the board worked great and my tach reads accurate. I've figured out the visual diff between a v6 and v8 circuit boards, so I can spot one from a mile away now.

Just goes to show there are a lot of v6 boards floating around out there, and people think they are for v8s.
            probably could have found the whole cluster for the price of all 3 boards... glad you got it fixed though
            87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Pics of two boards

Someone earlier demanded pics of the 2 distinctive boards. Well here they are. One on the left is a V6 board, the right one is V8 board.

Only diff I see is the little blue resistors vs the larger brown resistors on 2 circuits. other than that they are the same. Enjoy.

Comment

Hey Guys. We've been re manufacturing circuit boards for a lot of GM cars and trucks for years. 82-92 Camaros were among the first we started producing. Please check out our page for more info. We have sold hundreds of Camaro Tachometer circuit boards. We offer a no questions asked LIFETIME WARRANTY and free shipping.

- Manufactured in the USA by trained technicians will all American made components. No Chinese junk like others sell.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142495943416

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143159485015

Thanks, Greg
                ~ Cajun Tach Shop

Comment

Working...
                X