What's composite in a late F?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's composite in a late F?

Hey guys. Had a quick question since I'm new to the whole non-metal major body parts, coming from a Grand Am. What portions of the 93-02 F-body cars are metal and what isn't? I know the front fenders, rear bumper and nose are not metal but what other portions are composite?
    1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
    2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
    1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

doors i beleive
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

It might be easier to give a list of sections that are metal....

Hood & Rear Quarter Panels

Everything else should be composite. This applies to '93 to '02 model years.

Personally I like the composite panels even though GM has moved away from them. After almost 10 years the composite panels on my '96 looked new. The rear quarters had dents from doors of other cars.

Composite panels expand and contract more in differing temperatures and GM had to increase the panel gap when using them. So it doesn't look as nice as metal when new. Just compare the Saturn Ion to the Chevy Cobalt and you can get an idea as to why GM limited their use.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 99 Zeee!!
        Personally I like the composite panels even though GM has moved away from them. After almost 10 years the composite panels on my '96 looked new. The rear quarters had dents from doors of other cars.
        I can relate. Mine's a 96 and the only dent it has is on the right-rear quarter.

Thanks! I had heard rumors the door skins were composite but wanted to know what was composite for sure.
        1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
        2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
        1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

I can relate. Mine's a 96 and the only dent it has is on the right-rear quarter.
          Same here, I have a little door ding on each side, the rest of the body looks new.
          Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Obviously, the roof panels and hatch, too. Sort of a poor man's vette with a mostly plastic body. The best quote I heard was one of my mechanic friends describing the F-body as a trickle-down from the Corvette- whatever the 'vette got, the F-body got a couple years later- LT1, LS1, brakes, etc. Not absolute, but some truth to it-
            2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
            "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

I thought the doors were fiberglass, not composite. Could be wrong though.
              Dave

Independent AMSOIL Dealer

94 Z28 M6 - exhaust, K&N drop in, and lots of plans...

DD 98 Ram 2500 CTD (might be faster than my Z!)

Comment

No fiberglass...all composite.

Only dent I got is right in front of the fuel door.

Even after an accident where I nudged a car on the front driver side fender...I walked away with scratches and little else.

Compsite all the way!

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Composite simply means a combinaton of two or more elements for create a panel. Fiberglass is a composite of glass fibers and urethane. So is Carbon fiber. There are a lot of "composites" in the automotive and aerospace industries IE. the Boeing 787.
                  Hopefully the new Camaro is not too heavy like the new GTO and other modern performance cars. Usualy composites adds to the cost of the product but can reduce a lot of weight like the new Corvette ZO6 with its carbon fiber hood and fenders and aluminum frame. Its able to stay under 3200 lbs.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Working...
                  X