Security Light! No Start!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Light! No Start!

Well I walk out to my car and go to start the car. Has never had an issue with not starting. Well I climb in and see the lighton my dash. Right away I notice the light on and I go to start it. No Crank. No solinoid action, Nothing. I know my battery is good so thats not an issue.

What can cause the light to go on and cause my car tono crank over. Im sure it has to do with the sercurity system but im curious as to what caused this and What i can do to disable it. I disconnected the battery in hopes that it will remove the light and allow my car to start.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

First thought was this one here http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...light=security
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

The strange thing about this is that The Security Light stays on without the key in the ignition. Im going to Spray some Carb cleaner in the Cylinder and clean the contacts on the Key itself. Also, I doubt its the FOB. b/c it opens and closes the door locks fine.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Hate to say it, but my 93 does that even with the VATS bypassed. It's intermittant. Sometimes it works fine, other times the light goes on and it';s a no start for 3 minutes until it resets itself. It must be a short in the wiring or a faulty BCM.

Comment

Is there anything i can do to fix it? Should I take it to the dealer to see if they can give me some kind of idea on whats wrong?
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Mine does the same thing, heck it did it a few days ago when I was already late! Clean the key. Also, I think if your finger is touching the metal as you slide it in it can trick the light.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Mine is nice to me
              1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Comment

You can bypass the VATS with a resistor of equal value to the pellet in the key. The wires are easy to find under the steering column. More than likely the wires leading into the key lock have snapped. Every time you turn the key the wires flex and rub against the key lock housing. On mine the wires actually wore a grove into the keylock from rubbing over it for so long. Happened to mine twice until I bypassed it and it never happens in a convenient location.
                Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                  You can bypass the VATS with a resistor of equal value to the pellet in the key. The wires are easy to find under the steering column. More than likely the wires leading into the key lock have snapped. Every time you turn the key the wires flex and rub against the key lock housing. On mine the wires actually wore a grove into the keylock from rubbing over it for so long. Happened to mine twice until I bypassed it and it never happens in a convenient location.
                  I did that on my 93 and the problem will still come up. Just a heads up in case bypassing the VATS doesn't work.

Here's the bypass

Comment

Well Sprayed some Carb spray, put the key on the on position and about 2 minutes later no light. Then took out the key and "CRANK!!!!"

Start!

Thanks A lot guys!!!
                    Eddie
                    2000 M6 Trans Am
                    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Solved the problem with the bypass 2 years ago for me.

Even with the key cleaned and the cylinder sprayed...I still had it not start sometimes. It was intermediate and even after sitting there and letting the security light go out it would not start...

Bypass to make sure it won't leave you stranded.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

What I also noticed is that the Chip on the key is run down so it could be that its become to slim. Its by a percentage of a MM but that could make the difference.

If it happens again Bypass its going to be. Even my Father said just bypass it.
                        Eddie
                        2000 M6 Trans Am
                        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

What I also noticed is that the Chip on the key is run down so it could be that its become to slim. Its by a percentage of a MM but that could make the difference.

If it happens again Bypass its going to be. Even my Father said just bypass it.
                          Yea, I thought the same thing and ended up buying a $45.00 key for nothing. Maybe you'll have better luck.
                          Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Working...
                          X