Opti may have gotten wet Now what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opti may have gotten wet Now what?

I replaced my radiator and while in the process of bleeding the system I may have gotten the opti wet. I had left the top valve open when I went to start the car and all the sudden it started running crappy. I looked and noticed I left the valve open and it was shooting water out. I shut the car off and closed it up. When I went to restart it it ran real rough and then died. Now it wont start. This was last night. I tried to start it this morning but still nothing. My battery is a bit weak from sitting(I haven't driven the car in a while) so I'm wondering if that could be part of the problem. It turns over but pretty slowly. I have a 96 so it's the vented opti. Will it dry out and then work again? I'm leaving the hood open and it's about 80 and sunny here in FL. Any advice. I really don't want to replace the opti since it's a major pain and I'd have to tow the car elsewhere to work on it due to apartment rules. Any ideas help, advice?
    This car is not my daily drive anymore and I am trying to ready it for sale so I don't want to put much money in it if I can help it. Thanks guys....

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Do you have any compressed air? Or try a hairdryer to rid any moisture there. When I did my opti, I cleaned the area around it good, then after the install I sprayed clear coat paint to seal it. Drove 40K with no issues.
    2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

Clean and dry the spark plug wires and coil wire, where they plug into the Opti. Check the wire ends and the Opti terminals for corrosion. Do the same to the coil end of the coil wire, and the coil terminal. Pull the Opti harness off the Opti, and check the harness connector and the connector tower on the Opti for corrosion and damaged pins. Ditto on the gray connector on the other end of the Opti harness, on the small bracket on the passenger side of the intake manifold. Dry off the IC Module and coil. I'm not crazy about using compressed air, since it may drive the moisture deaper into the terminals, possibly damage the seal on the Opti harness tower, which is a major source of leakage.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

can I get to this stuff without taking it off? Never had to work on the opti before and it's been about 3 years since I did a water pump

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Ok update, I was able to get it started by jumping it off my other car. It ran really rough though like it was missing and if I gave it any gas it would stall out. I guess this is some improvement over not starting at all this morning though. Is it possible that it is drying out and will be fine if I leave it longer? I'm really hoping this is the case. I'm really starting to think that whomever designed these cars was a sadist

Comment

You can unplug, dry and check all the wires I mentioned without removing the Opti. It may require some creative arm work, and you may need a mirror to inspect the sockets in the Opti wire towers.

You really need to check the terminals for moisture, corrosion and damage. Coolant it a mix of water and ethylene glycol. It does not evaporate ("dry") as quickly or as completely as straight water would.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks. Wish me luck

Comment

Working...
              X