egr valve, rear intake oil leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• egr valve, rear intake oil leak

While attempting to repair the rear intake oil leak again I noticed oil coming from the bottom port of the egr valve. The gasket on the egr was not in good shape. Could a bad egr cause a massive oil leak[ 1 qt every 40 miles]? Seems like the oil was coming from that side on the engine.The silicon didn't look that bad. I did the intake 2 weeks ago and it did not leak for about 2 days then started leaking again and got worse daily. Are there any external oil lines on the rear of the engine that could be leaking? Any help will be greatly appreciated.This is a 93 z-28 lt1 4-A
    1993 Z-28 A4, Flowmaster 3" single out the side,Suncoast Ram air hood,K&N filter.

The EGR system does not interface with the oil system in any way. If I understand you, there is oil in the bottom passage on the intake manifold that the EGR pintle pushes into. If so, the only way oil could get there would be from the exhaust manifold or the intake manifold - both very unlikely, but possible. The EGR being "bad" could not cause this problem, in any case.

In the extreme, oil flowing into the combustion chambers due to a bad intake gasket, worn rings and/or valve guides could be blowing out with the exhaust, and getting forced into the EGR valve when it opens. Or, the EGR passages in the manfold end up where the IAC air ends up, and a lot of oil blowing out the line from the passenger valve cover to the throttle body could conceiveably put oil in the IAC, but it would take a huge amount to get through into the intake manifold passages.

Are you sure the leak is not coming out of the plug in the top of the block, right behind the intake manifold. That is where the oil pressure sensor is located on most LT1's, except your 93 and the early 94's.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

egr problems

Many thanks for the reply.The oil was coming out the rectangle port. I installed a new gasket and put everything back together.Waiting for the 24 hours to crank it up.I think I know what I did wrong.I did extend the silicone a inch up the head on top of the side manifold gaskets.Again thanks.
      1993 Z-28 A4, Flowmaster 3" single out the side,Suncoast Ram air hood,K&N filter.

Comment

Working...
      X