New ignition system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ignition system

Has anybody tried the Delteq.inc ignition system on their Z-28's? I just ran across it and apparently it is a hybrid Cadillac Northstar ignition system. It bolts on and uses the crank position signal from the existing Optispark. So, it is a lost spark type ignition system but is quite serviceable when compared to out original.

I think Steve out west is using that. Maybe he will chime in.
    Blazer

Comment

I've been following the Delteq since it came out, about 4 years ago. I'm not convinced it is any good. Recently, people have been having problems contacting the two main developers for tech support, and resolution of problems. Unfortunately, the guy who developed the Delteq is the same one who developed the ill-fated Electromotive SDI/Opti-Elimnator, that I invested in quite heavilly. I even took my car to VA to show them the install, one of the first ones done. In the end, the unit developed some quirks.... and same problem... the designer completely stiffed me and refused to follow up on my problems.

Several people have bought the Delteq system and found that no matter what they did, how many replacements Delteq sent them, no matter how much support they got from Delteq, it just wouldn't work. Delteq's position was "it just doesn't want to work on some cars". All the people who had that problem were able to return the system and get their money back. With the recent inability of people to get any help at all from Delteq, I would strongly recommend against the system.

Even though its been on the market at least 4 years (surprised you just discovered it), from day one they have been promising a Phase II system that would totally eliminate the Opti. Many people bought the Delteq based on that promise, and a promised discount on the Phase II upgrade. 4 years later, and there is no Phase II.

Look very closely at the Bailey LTCC system. 8 LSx style coils in direct fire. Requires the Opti optical input, just like the Delteq. Bob Bailey/Bailey Engineering have proven to make nothing but innovative, top quality products. I've been running 8 LS1-style coils in direct fire for 8 years now (not the LTCC system). A buddy of mine was running an LS1-style ignition on his 9.0-second 30th SS convertible. It is strong ignition.

http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

thanks for the insights

It is always good to find out that support after the sale is not what was claimed or implied.

I will look into the web site that you mentioned.

I like the concept of using the optispark as a trigger but leaving the 'heavy lifting' to more robust components.

Tom

PS. I have gone a week and the 93Z has started first time every time over a wide range of temperatures. However, with 150k miles, it is time to replace some worn out components.

Comment

Working...
        X