Big tires breaking things??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big tires breaking things??

I just upgraded wheels and tires with the help of some good advice from the board here (thanks), and now I am curious to know if the serious increase in traction is going to hurt any of my driveline components. The tires are 315/35/17's and my rear end and everything else is stock. I enjoy spinning the tires everyonce in a while from a standstilll and powershifting a gear or two. I just wanted everyone's opinion on how sturdy the drivetrain is. Thanks again!

Unless you have a urethane transmission mount, keep a transmission mount handy. It's not a question of if but when. 5 Days after I put the 275-40-17 tires on my Z, I broke the trans mount.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I doubt you have anything to worry about, besides the trannie mount as stated. Only time you really have to worry about breaking driveline components is when you start using ET Streets or QTPs at the track

KnightFire
      1993 Formula Firebird
      Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

I don't think you have much to worry about. 315/35/17s are not really a "drag" tire, even if it were a drag radial. With low profile tires, by design, they are meant to give increased traction 90º from a straight line. The contact patch is wider from side to side than it is from front to back. In order to really get straight line traction, you would have to choose a tire that has a contact patch that is wider from fron to rear. That means a taller tire, not necessarily wider. Now if you switched to a dedicated drag tire like slicks and were really hooking, I would worry about rear end strength. I still wouldn't do too much power shifting though. Save if for when you need the extra .1 et. As long as the tires spin, doubtful that something is going to break.

Comment

Ok...

But shifting without lifting the throttle is so much fun!!!!!!!

Comment

Might be fun...but TERRIBLE for the trannie and motor...its not worth the minimal gain...just learn to shift faster

KnightFire
            1993 Formula Firebird
            Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

A good skill is learning how to shift lightning quick while reducing throttle at the proper moment, applying throttle at the proper moment. I practiced this hundreds of times and was ultimately able to shift just as quick as a powershift, but without the wheelspin and/or parts breakage. It is more difficult to master than a powershift, it takes mucho practice. Isn't that half the fun?

Comment

Working...
              X