Need opinion on codes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opinion on codes

My car had been acting funny for a few months now. It would run great for about 15 mins or so then die (No missing or hesitation even at wot). If I let it sit for an hour or so it would start right up but only for about 15 mins. Now it won't start at all, just cranks. I had It scanned and it gave 3 codes 16, 36, and 42. The mechanic that scanned it told me those codes all go back to a short in the pcm. I posted this at z28.com and everyone seemed to think it was the opti. Just wanted to see what you guys thought. I would much rather pay 150 for a used pcm than 300+ for a new opti.

Ok your codes don't make sense, they are five digit codes starting with a letter, usually P, like P0141. If you find that you do need an opti you need to shop around more. $300.00 is on the steep side, original AC/Delco opti's can be had for a lot less.
    Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

^^These are OBDI codes, not OBDII's.

42 sounds serious. In my Haynes 92-02 F-body, it is described as Ignition Control Circuit. Short between ECM/PCM and Ignition module. Options are replace either of those parts, check for shorts in the wire.
      1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
      2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
      1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

Oops my bad, didn't notice it was a 94.
        Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

16 and 36 are usually opti related. It really sounds like opti symptoms to me. Rob (shoebox) has a nice tutorial of testing the opti. Try it when it dies...http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

42 often accompanies 16 and 32. Sounds like opti or opti connection. The PCM is what I would suspect last.
            Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

16 and 36 are ALWAYS Opti related. The PCM is not seeing the high and low res pulse patterns from the optical sensor. It can run with DTC 36 (high res missing), but when DTC 16 (low res missing) sets it shuts down the fuel system. As Rob pointed out, could be the connectors for the Opti harness. Check them for corrosion or camaged pins.

42 is the IC module, but can also be related to the Opti, the coil or the PCM.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
              X