Real Quick Heater Core Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Quick Heater Core Question

I have no heat. I am flushing the heater core but I can't get the freaking clips off back there. Not to mention GM engineered these sharp things right after the top of the hood that point down and cut BAD.

Frustrated and need help with the clips. HELP!

2002 Firehawk Sold

Those sharp things are just plastic push pins to hold the weatherstrip/seal.

You should be able to remove the clamps by squeazing them with a pliers.

My ride is here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR

Comment

Originally posted by ToplessFormula
      Those sharp things are just plastic push pins to hold the weatherstrip/seal.

You should be able to remove the clamps by squeazing them with a pliers.
      The pliers aren't big enough to get around it! Crap!

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

I disconnected mine at the water pump and flushed from there. It is a heck of a lot easier to get too. Just use an extension tube to route the return water away from the OPTI so you don't get it wet.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Yo Jeff 94 white Devil has a V6, No opti.
          Blazer

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer
            Yo Jeff 94 white Devil has a V6, No opti.
            Blazer
            You are correct. But It's still easier to do it from the water pump.

BTW did you see me wave at your road Friday and Monday when I passed it on the way to Destin? LOL Actually I saw a red LT1 Firebird with chrome rims but I wasn't close enough to tell if it was you or not.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I still have scars on the back of my hand and forearm from changing mine. I ended up wraping a rag around my arm to slow the blood loss. Good luck with that it's def a pita.

I'm sure you noticed but there is a screw that holds the clip in place. Once the screw is out the clip "should" just snap right off. Getting it back on without loosing the screw is considerably harder and requires more blood loss.

Transfusion and tetanus shot recommended.
              Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                I still have scars on the back of my hand and forearm from changing mine. I ended up wraping a rag around my arm to slow the blood loss. Good luck with that it's def a pita.

I'm sure you noticed but there is a screw that holds the clip in place. Once the screw is out the clip "should" just snap right off. Getting it back on without loosing the screw is considerably harder and requires more blood loss.

Transfusion and tetanus shot recommended.
                Ya I had a scar on my hand from attempting it a few weeks ago. Now I am going to have a matching one on the other hand. And I didn't notice any screws. You just pinch it together and it comes off. The problem is the clamp won't pinch!

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Are you talking about the cheesy gm hose clamps that hold the hoses in place or the clip that holds the heater core in place?

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                    Are you talking about the cheesy gm hose clamps that hold the hoses in place or the clip that holds the heater core in place?
                    The hoses

FILLER
                    I
                    L
                    L
                    E
                    R

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Ohhhh I see said the blind guy. Yea those are a pita. I used a very large pair of channel locks but a large pair of vice grips would prolly work as well. It is a huge contortion act under barbed wire to get at them. Clamp the channel locks/vice grips on the tits (yes I said tits) of the hose clamps and sqeeze while twisting and pulling. When they move 1/8", stop, drink a beer and repeat process until the clamps are free. Once they are off, walk outside the garage and throw them as far as you can (it doesn't do anything for the car but you'll feel better) then go out and buy some "real" hose clamps.

Comment

Working...
                      X