Busted opti?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted opti?

Have a problem with my 95 z28. When I have my igition set to the on position without it started sometimes my tach dances around and the fuel pump cycles on intermittantly. When I actually get it cranked it usually doesn't stay running for very long. The one time that it did run a good while there was a decent amout of smoke coming from the exhaust. Does this sound like a faulty opti or possibly something else?
    '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Is there a Service Engine Soon light? What codes are being thrown?

IMO is sounds like a variety of possible problems. Battery may be the cause. If there is no SES light on, I would take the battery to get it tested....many parts stores do it free!

When my opti(s) went out the symptoms i had were:
    -RPMs studdering and loping
    -minor backfiring
    -loss of power
    -intermittent idle

(As far as i know these were all caused by the Opti)
    -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Funny how much the opti is in everybody's head everytime something goes wrong.

This doesn't sound like an opti to me. Tach dancing? Fuel pump shorting? The opti is very easy to test. It only takes a few minutes. Check shoebox's for a complete ignition system test. Test the coil, ICM, and opti. Voltmeter and 15 minutes.

What color is the smoke?
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Sounds more like a problem with the ignition switch, or engine/PCM grounds, or a weak battery. I'd check that before jumping to the conclusion the its the Opti.

If it was the Opti, you would most likely get the trouble code for loss of low resolution pulse pattern from the optical sensor, since that would shut down the fuel pump the way you described, if it was an intermittent problem. Scan it for codes. Even that doesn't mean its the Opti, since a corroded Opti harness connector could cause that problem.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Not getting a check engine light. There is minor backfireing. The smoke is a gray color (not really white or black). I'll check shoebox's website for the diagnostics. And thanks for the suggestions everyone, i'll test everything I can. I could tear the engine down to the block, but when it comes to electrical i'm lost. Thanks again...I'll keep everyone updated.
          '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

Working...
          X