Header repair?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header repair?

My headers have been leaking for about a week now. i checked the flanges and the bolts and everything is good there. so i think there might be a crack near the primaries because the dang speedbumps at college, i cant go over them without scraping. last time i checked, there were a couple small dents on the primaries, so i think they may be a little damaged now. i will check tommorow morning, but if this is so, is there any way to repair the header?
    1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

Yes. It's a product called thermosteel. Look for the product at Advance Auto parts, it comes in a small vail about the size of an old film canister or pill bottle. apply the stuff per the directions, heat cure it and it will hold solid. I've used it to repair exhaust manifolds and headers.

Comment

I'd rather weld the cracks than do anything else.

I've fixed dented exhaust pipes several times. I just headed the dented area with a torch and then pushed on the dent out from the inside with an old wood hammer handle until it was evened out. That has always worked perfectly for me.

My ride is here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR

Comment

if its too much fo a PITA to get them out then do what joe said, if not take them out and have em welded and check the flange for trueness. it might just be the gasket could blow out, headers tend to eat the stock paper gaskets, i always try to get the crushable aluminum or copper ones
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
        X