Lug screw broken off...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lug screw broken off...

Hey guys, anyone know how hard it would be, or how much it would cost to replace a lug screw? I guess when Just Brakes put my wheels back on after my brake job a while back, they over-torqued the post. So when Discount Tire put on my new tires about a month ago, they broke the post or screw or whatever it's called right off when they were tightening the lug nut down. They were saying it could be fixed, but now I need to get the car inspected and am wondering how much it is going to cost. Anyone know? I know I should have gotten them to pay for it, but my dumb butt has waited too long and now I am on my own.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Is it on the front or the rear?

They are cheap and easy to replace. The front is easier than the rear just because the emergency brake drum makes it a little more work in the rear.

Just get a punch and drive the old one out, then put the new one in and tighten the lug nut to get it to press in all the way.

Comment

Yeah, it is in the front. Thanks for the info. Sounds easy enough.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by TODD 2000 V6 CAMARO
        Yeah, it is in the front. Thanks for the info. Sounds easy enough.
        You got it made in the shade.
        LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

The part you broke is called the "stud". The "lug" is the nut, the stud is the bolt. You need a 12mm-1.5 0.509" knurl stud. Probably best to just get one from a dealer to avoid an error on length.

After hammering the old one out, you put the new stud in from the back, put a couple washers over the stud to protect the face of the hub, use an old lug nut, flat side against the washers, plus a little anti-seize lubricant, and pull the stud knurl into the hub by torquing down the lug nut. Its a lot easier if you use an air impact tool.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
          X