Need New Brakes. Help Please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need New Brakes. Help Please!

hey guys. im new to this forum and the racin world. im 17 and i love my 94 lt1 formula to death.i dont have much done to it now other than the stock stuff like the 4L60-E trans and 3.23 rear end I will do more when i can get more money. i have some heat cracked rotors that i need to replace, but i dont want to put on the same junk brakes that the 93-97s came with. I would love to up the size one inch and put some 4 piston calipers on it, but i dont know were a good place to find them at or if i would need to put a new master cylinder on it to. i have to work with the stock 16 inch wheels but i think that set up would fit, but i dont really know. i always like advice before i do something so any tips would mean a lot.

The very popular LS1 swap might interest you.

Check out this thread: http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13369
    and this thread as well.http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19591

It gives you most everything you want:
    Larger Disks (from 11" to 12")
    Better Calipers (from single piston to dual piston, not quite the 4 you wanted but...)
    Compatible with your stock 16" rims
    New master cylinder not necessary
    Plus, since you are using stock parts (which have already been safety tested) from an LS1 car, pads rotors etc. will be very easy to find in the future when/if you need them.
    and...
    Pretty easy to do!
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Ditto also. I did the LS1 sawp on my 95. Loved it and it was easy.
      2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

The best upgrade you can get for your stock wheels are the LS1 brakes, or the Baer Sport kit. Both are 2 piston calipers. There isn't a 4 piston caliper available for stock 16" wheels, as far as I know.

By the way, your current brakes aren't the best, but they are not even close to "junk". If I recall correctly, in 1993 when the 4th gen came out, Motor Trend tested 60-0 at 120-125 feet. The only cars that beat it at the time were a Ferrari and Corvette.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

He's correct. I believe the exact number was 121 feet...but don't hold me to it.
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
            By the way, your current brakes aren't the best, but they are not even close to "junk". If I recall correctly, in 1993 when the 4th gen came out, Motor Trend tested 60-0 at 120-125 feet. The only cars that beat it at the time were a Ferrari and Corvette.
            You know they may stop 2 or 3 times in that distance but a few more times and they start to fade pretty good. Putting the LS1 brakes on my old LT1 was a vast improvement. Also adding the stainless brakes lines is a big improvement too. The pedal on my 95 Z28 with LS1 brakes was much firmer than the pedal on my 02 Vette. I'm considering the stainless lines on my Vette too. With the LS1 brakes tire adhesion became a bigger factor than more braking power and I had 275 wide W rated tires too.

I think people associate more pistons in a caliper as better. That is not always true. You have to factor in the size of the pistons. A mechanical engineer could give you the formulas but a single 3" piston is going to give you more braking power than four 1/2" pistons. My point is the dual pistons on the LS1 calipers are pretty large. Unless the car is going to be a strict racing car going to the exotic not to mention expensive multi piston calipers is a waste of money.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
              You know they may stop 2 or 3 times in that distance but a few more times and they start to fade pretty good.
              +1

LT1 brakes aren't good at all for repeated stopping.

My ride is here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR

Comment

thanks i have been gettin the tip to put on the LS1 brakes. and the LT1 brakes are not junk that is true they just could be a lot better than they are

Comment

I had a 1970 Dodge dart with a 340 6 pack, 4 spd, 3.91 gears with 4 wheel DRUM brakes. Ya'll have no idea what junk brakes are. Stopping for a stop light you never knew what lane you would end up in.
                  2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

does any one have another web site? i tried the tennesse auto one but it is not working. im just looking for the conversion kit to put the LS1 brake package on my 94 LT1.

Comment

Working...
                    X