need help with cam selection!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with cam selection!

well, i will be acquiring some money here in the next month or so and i am going to be installing a cam, rocker, springs and all that goes with that. the gm lt4 hotcam has the set that comes with the cam(218/228 with .525 lift) mild cam, 1.6 roller rockers, springs and all the stuff to install for like $550. that sounds like a great deal, and ive done some research and people are happy with that package. but also, some say they wish they woulda gone with a more aggressive cam. the one that comes to mind is the cc503. this is supposed to be the best all around cam without having to port the heads. is there anywhere out there where i can get this cam,or something similar, in a package like the lt4 hotcam??? this is a pretty big investment and i want to do it right
    1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

I personally think the 503 is a little overkill on stock heads (but maybe the biggest that can be considerable). It may peak you a little more hp than the hot cam, but the specs are 224/230 .536/.544 (1.6) 112
    and I don't think LT1 heads will be able to utilize any lift over .525. I think the LT4 hot cam is just fine for the stock heads. Another cam to look at is the CC305. Your selection will also depend on your goals, and the current use of your car. Your mileage and driveability will start to suffer with a bigger cam.

Don't forget, if you go with any of these cams, you will need a stall. Your idle will probably need to be raised to 750-900 RPM, which will force you to hold the brake pedal to the floor at idle, with a stock stall. If you get the stall, then I'd also recommend a tranny cooler, and possibly a tranny rebuild, depending on the shape of your current trans.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

It has been said that 90% of the engine's power is generated in the cylinder head. You may want to consider porting the heads out as well. I found a shop that would do a full port and polish for 300 per head !
      -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
      2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Working...
      X