This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't go into gear

I've got a '95 Z28 M6 with 135K. I was sitting at a stop light, went to put it in 1st and it wouldn't go into gear. I fumbled for almost a minute before I just forced it (to get out of traffic). The clutch seems ok - it was replaced at 105K. There are no noises to indicate that something is broken or dragging. Can these transmissions be repaired? Any suggestions?
    '95 Z28 M6 140K
    SLP Intake, T-Byrne MAF shells, JBA headers, SLP SS Cat-back, 3" Morflow, JET cool fan, Accel 300+, B&M Ripper, Bilsteins, Eibach Pro, LPE AL driveshaft, Custom fabricated SFC's, Hotchkis tower brace, SS brake lines, 17" Moda's, yada yada...

Oh yes. Since you are in Atlanta, I'm going to give you a place here if I could only remember it. Dang I hate getting old. It's off of South Cobb at 285. They don't do the removal or installation though. As soon as I remember the name, I will post it.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I could use the info. I work only a few miles from there. Let me know if you remember - I'll try to find it in the Yellow Pages.
      '95 Z28 M6 140K
      SLP Intake, T-Byrne MAF shells, JBA headers, SLP SS Cat-back, 3" Morflow, JET cool fan, Accel 300+, B&M Ripper, Bilsteins, Eibach Pro, LPE AL driveshaft, Custom fabricated SFC's, Hotchkis tower brace, SS brake lines, 17" Moda's, yada yada...

Comment

Southern Gear.
        http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=...r:regT:1:fbT:0

Southern Gear
        4369 W Atlanta Rd SE, Smyrna, GA 30080
        Phone: (770) 435-1461
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Is it just first or other gears too?
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

It won't go into any gear. It's weird - everything was fine until about 2 stoplights from my house. I was just sitting there in neutral, went to grab 1st and it wouldn't go into gear. I tried all of 'em - no go until, like I said, I just forced it. I nursed it home then tried again in front of the house - same thing, so I parked it. I hope it's just a linkage problem but I guess I won't know until it's apart.

Thanks for the tip Jeff!
            '95 Z28 M6 140K

Comment

See if this helps any.
              http://csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/4th_gen_tech2.html#t56
              click on the picture.

Comment

If you shut the engine off does it go into gear?

If it does, You've got clutch problems.

Comment

its your clutch!im doing my 3rd of the year! don't buy the autozone (slp) clutch both are made by valeo!the disk's are the same #for#

Comment

Originally posted by firehawkclone
                    its your clutch!im doing my 3rd of the year! don't buy the autozone (slp) clutch both are made by valeo!the disk's are the same #for#
                    Good god, man what are you doing to your clutch?? 3 in a year?

The SLP Valeo clutch is actually a high quality piece. It goes recommended by many on this board, including myself. Mine works great and installed easily. If you have gone through 3 in a year you are doing something wrong, or abusing it massively.

Comment

Originally posted by firehawkclone
                      "firehawk clone"

thats frowned upon by most slp car owners.

why not just make the car your own personal expression of a neat ride..... sure..use the firehawk parts......but dont put "firehawk" on it.....because its not.

my 2 cents.

because i own two slp cars. and waited a long time to get them both.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

wow!i just said i have done three clutch's,and there the same as the slp clutch disk.they have come apart(the disk)2 time's now,the thin metal in the middle.and it allways done it going in to 5th,and im not redlining it in 5th.oh and now im attacked because my car is a clone,i bought it that way!i did not know that it was a clone!i didn't now enough about them,i just knew what they looked like.i didn't know to look for the slp vin plate,i found out the hard way! and why do you think i call it a clone!because it is one!i could have just called it firehawk,and no won would know!but you seem to want to jump on me about what i stated it was!i guess you just want to jump on someone today!i guess you can do that as one of the top guys.this is how you treat a newbie for picking a name!WOW

Comment

oh,i geuss you'll just attack me again instead of helping and being nice

Comment

Just take it easy. There are a lot of nice people on this board. There are also certain "unwritten rules" amongst F-Body owners.

Like don't put anything on your car that makes it look like an import. Or making your car something it ain't. Somebody will probably "jump" on you if you do so and voice his opinion. Some have stronger opinions than others.

At the end it is your car and you can do with it what you want. Somebody doesn't like it, they probably will tell you but that's it. You can do the same as long as it doesn't get to hot (flaming) and offensive language is being used. You'll be warned and eventually banned if you go against the rules.

But like I said, lots of friendly people with lots of good advice.
                            97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

well like i said,i didn't put the stuff on it i bought it that way!it had the hood,wheels,catback,and black firehawk stickers in the right place's!I found out the hard way(i called slp)that they didn't make my car,and they never made blace stickers! It is a nice car red with two fat white strip's front to back with chrome wheel's.it's hard to miss,thats why i bought it.but now i have to change it to be like here,i dont think so!im attacked because i called my self firehawkclone after my car because thats what it is,a clone(almost)it just seems like some of the firehawk oweners think there better than the rest!is that true?all i want is a real firehawk,i just hope that i don't trun in to a ? OH and to the nice people who just want to talk about cars, got any idea's on why i seem to snap clutch disk's post up.

Comment

Working...
                              X