1996 lt1 rebuild assistance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 lt1 rebuild assistance

I have the lt1 motor and I had it rebuilt because the head gasket blew and I wanted to make sure everything was good. It was but I had it rebuilt anyway since it was already torn down.

I drove it for about 10,000 miles, but it never really ran as good as I thought it should. it would shimmy at times even in park but it was not often. I received a multispark malfunction code for about 2 months and it would come and go. Then one day it really ran rough and the check engine light was flashing. So I towed it home and it appears that I have a pretty good size oil leak coming from one of the fornt seals. It has coated the bottom pulley and what I believe is the crank sensor. I think it is leaking from the bottom seal around the crank shaft but am not really sure. It had a recent tune up including a new distributor and has less than 40,000 miles on the opti spark or the distributor eye.

we used the same crank and cam as they were still in great shape even after 185,000 miles. heads were rebuilt, new pistons were installed and the motor was punched 30 over. new water pump and new radiator installed as well.

what kind of possibilities am I looking at here. I am hoping that it is just the crank sensor, but could it be the opti spark? If so do I have to pull the waterpump to actually get to this part?

We are going to sell it and the car has been well maintained, I know I could get more if it was fixed but if I have to go back behind that waterpump again, I will just sell it like it is and write a 1000.00 off the price. asking 7500.00 (t/a convertible triple white automatic)

you guys have helped me before and I hope that you can give me some more assistance so that I can get her a new home and still have enough money to recoupe my recent costs for fixing her.

Jason

If you used the stock crank and put in a new seal, there is a probability that there is a groove worn on the cranshaft's surface caused by contact with the seal. There is a crank repair sleeve that will install on the crank and give the bearing a new surface to contact. It will require you removing the balancer and hub. as far as the other parts, do them all while you are in there.

Comment

Working...
    X