Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me again????

Hey guys and gals,
    I am back I have been on here several times. You guys have been great!!!! Anyways heres my dilema I have 1996 WS6 Trans Am and Ive replaced just about everything in the ignition sys like, the OPTI twice plugs and wire crank sensor and anything else. So Iwas driving down the interstate car was running good and it just quit running im talking shut down. So on the side of the road I am sitting and I hook up my OBD scanner and the car popped a p01371 and thats it no other codes. What do you guys think?? Any help would be nice.....

Did you replace the harness going to the OPTI? If your OPTI is pretty new check that the connector plugging into the OPTI doesn't have corrosion on it.

I had a brand new harness corrode in 6 months. I would highly suggest using silicone dielectric compound on the connector.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Appears you have another problem with the optical sensor in the Opti, or in the wiring from the sensor to the PCM.

Why did you replace the first two Optis? How many miles on the original Opti? .... on the 1st replacement? ..... on the 2nd replacement (the one that is setting P1371?
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Help

Well I have had the car about a year and have nothing but one problem after another. The origanal went bad a few weeks after I bought the car after going thru some pretty heavy rain. So I bought another opti and a friend and I put it in, didnt last to long still had a problem with it runing. Anyways after that I took it to a garage and they replace the coil the icm the wiring harness to the opti and the opti itself. it has been running since but because the car had an oil leak I havent driven the car that much for the last 3 or 4 months. So there we are the new opti may have a hundred or so miles on it. I am going crazy with this car I love the tran am ws6 but this is getting rediculous.

Comment

Was the oil leak on the front of the engine, screwing up the Opti? Are you sure the leak was fixed correctly?
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

what brand opti did you purchase? "made in china" brand breaks in about 3-4 months
            -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
            2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

help me!!!

I will have to check the maker of the opti but the oil leak was in the back of the engine, intake near the egr valve...

Comment

I replaced the opti in my '97 Trans Am at 80,000 miles and it was still working fine. The opti in the Roadmaster went 150,000 with no problems. Did the vent get hooked up correctly? Where did you get the opti changed; did they use a new OEM part? Additionally, the oil will seep into the opti (over time) causing failure...this doesn't happen over night. It sounds like you need to take this to a person who knows LT1s.
                '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by jdsgtball
                  I will have to check the maker of the opti but the oil leak was in the back of the engine, intake near the egr valve...
                  Did you replace the timing cover oil seal kit? Your opti and water pump are gear driven. This is where the oil seep comes from.
                  '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                  '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                  '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                  '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                  '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                  My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                  Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I had the identical problem - random stalling on the freeway with a no start condition. Dealer took four days and tested every wire under the hood......turned out to be the PCM. They replaced it and it was fixed.
                    Darrin C
                    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Working...
                    X