need replacement catalytic converter for '97 TA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need replacement catalytic converter for '97 TA

My SES light came on recently and it turned out to be bad catalytic converters. My shop wants about $1500 to replace both of them, the Pontiac dealer would charge about $1700. Oh, this is a '97 WS6 TA with 101k miles.

What do people think of the Catco converters (#9162 and #9062), they run about $400 for the pair? I could save about $800 by using those instead of the stock replacements.

Thanks,
    -Jason
    -Jason
    1997 WS6 Trans-Am

I don't believe the shop when they say they are bad. Why are they saying that?
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
      I don't believe the shop when they say they are bad. Why are they saying that?
      Here's what they are telling me:

- code returned is Catalytic Converter Efficiency Failure
      - they reset the computer and ran it hot/cold, code returned
      - they ran 5 other tests to confirm (mainly to prove that a $1500 repair is warranted).

So I'm going to get them replaced. But not sure what. I called JustMagnaflow and their parts (#23517/#23518) run about $280 for the pair. My shop will only install if they are direct-fit replacements but I believe the Catco and Magnaflow satisfy that requirement.
      -Jason
      1997 WS6 Trans-Am

Comment

Did they do a tail pipe emissions test? If not it could be the O2 sensors are bad and giving the computer false readings. (I believe the book says to replace all O2 sensors at 100,000 miles.) If they did then you can probably trust their diagnosis that the cats are bad. If they didn't you could be wasting your money.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Oh and something else. Converters don't work when they are cold. They have to be hot in order for the to catalyze carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide and water. Also sitting there idling will not get them hot. The engine can be up to operating temperature and the converters not be any where near hot enough to work. You can let a car sit there and idle for 30 minutes and fail an emissions test. (Been there done that.) You have to get it out on the road for a few minutes to get them hot. Then do a sniff check. If it passes replace the O2 sensors. If not then replace the converters.

Comment

Well, based on this thread:

http://f-body.com/forum/showthread.p...flow+catalytic

it seems Magnaflow is not the way to go.
            -Jason
            1997 WS6 Trans-Am

Comment

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...012669/c-10101

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...012669/c-10101

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Replacement...n_dim_search=1

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

http://www.randomtechnology.com/pontiac.html

Comment

I am with Jeff_in_Atl on this. I currently have the same code on my '97. The after cat O2s need replacement on mine.
                '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Ditto! PO420 for me, it was gone for like 3 months, then it pooped on me again.
                  -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
                  2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Talked to the guy at the shop and asked what they did to rule out the O2 sensors. He said they took readings at the input/output of all the O2 sensors and compared the results to the expected values from AC Delco, all were in range. He even said they could look at the all the readings simultaneously on their diagnostic equipment.

Jeff_in_Atl - thanks for all the cat links. Though I want a direct-fit replacement instead of the just the cat so the shop can do the install easily. From what I've seen the choices are Magnaflow, Catco, Eastern, or stock. Leaning towards Catco now, haven't read much about Eastern.
                    -Jason
                    1997 WS6 Trans-Am

Comment

Mechanic shops in Texas won't install a cat you buy elsewhere (against the law). If you want your own cat you have to find some dude who will weld it for you in their back yard or do it yourself. 1500 sounds too high. I got mine done for $300. It was a magnaflow cat for 225 and the rest for labor. Since you have 2 cats it will be more, but not that much more. Call around and get quotes. By the way the magnaflow high flow cat made my exhaust sound so much better (Flowmaster cat back).

Comment

Well I'm not just getting the cat itself replaced, it's the whole part - pipe + cat. The replacement GM part #'s are:

12560407 - $640.45 L Cat. Converter
                        12551249 - $570.65 R Cat. Converter
                        12550283 - $20.08 L gasket
                        88891747 - $8.94 R gasket

I can get those parts from gmpartsdirect.com for about $1197, not much different that what my shop will charge. Yes, the Magnaflow versions are much cheaper, about $300 for both pieces. But I've heard mixed things about them (see thread above). The Catco versions are slightly more expensive, about $400 for the pair, but I don't have enough data to suggest that they are as good as the stock versions. Are the GM versions just overpriced? They did last a long time (11 years, 101 kmiles). The Catco's do come with a 25000 mile warranty, but that wouldn't cover labor. I'd like to not pay $800 extra for the GM versions vs the Catco ones, but on the other hand if the Catco ones only lasted for a few years that would be a bad deal as well.

The labor charge is about $300 to get them replaced (GM dealer would charge $350), most of the $1500 repair charge is the stock GM parts ($1200).
                        -Jason
                        1997 WS6 Trans-Am

Comment

Actually the Catco's come with a 50,000 mile warrany on the body (25000 mile warranty for emissions).
                          -Jason
                          1997 WS6 Trans-Am

Comment

Working...
                          X