head studs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head studs

I know LT1s are pretty much just a regular 350 but I was wondering if a standard head stud kit for a regular 350 would work on an LT1
    1995 Pontiac Trans Am Formula

its what I used.

edit: i used the arp sbc kit, but it wasn't studs.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by Atl_Monte
      I know LT1s are pretty much just a regular 350 but I was wondering if a standard head stud kit for a regular 350 would work on an LT1
      It should, but I sure have seen a lot of threads of people having coolant leaks with studs. They seem to be problematic to get sealed just right.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

I used head studs and the ARP sealant and while there might be a better sealant, I always use the GM block sealant tablets in the coolant when I have the engine all apart like that and I dont get leaks. Don't see why studs should be any different than bolts when it comes to leaks through the deck threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
          I used head studs and the ARP sealant and while there might be a better sealant, I always use the GM block sealant tablets in the coolant when I have the engine all apart like that and I dont get leaks. Don't see why studs should be any different than bolts when it comes to leaks through the deck threads.
          I've never read a thread about leaking with bolts, but have seen plenty with studs. I am not explaining it, just saying what I have seen.
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
            I've never read a thread about leaking with bolts, but have seen plenty with studs. I am not explaining it, just saying what I have seen.
            Maybe it's because any engine with studs is more likely to be a rebuild and had the theads chased, so they might be generally looser. Rebuilds can also use bolts, but doubt you would find studs on a stock engine, whereas a lot of guys doing a head swap on a stocker might just use a better set of bolts in the original deck threads without chasing the threads. That's the best theory I can come up with why the statement might be true.

Comment

Working...
            X