A/C Recharge Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C Recharge Problem

I have a 1994 trans am. After finally getting my car running after months, I noticed the a/c stopped blowing cold after about a day of driving. So I check in my haynes manual on how how to recharge the refrigerant. It says all models covered in the manual use r134a which is 1993-1997. The problem is the r134a recharge kit I bought (which says it fits all r134a systems) doesn't fit on the low-side port. The recharge hose seems too big for the stem. It does say on the radiator cover my car is uses r134a. Has anyone come across this problem? Do I need a conversion kit to recharge?

Not sure where the low pressure connector is on a V8, but my V6 has it on the drier/accumulator. the recharge hose should just snap on easily to it. If the port you are trying to put it on doesn't fit, it might be the wrong/high pressure port. Hope this helps.
    1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
    2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

I was using the connection by the passenger side valve cover. The illustration in the manual is showing a guy filling from there. The only other connection I see is on the accumulator, but that connection is too big.

Comment

there is only two different A/C fittings on auto's R12 and 134A, if it doesn't fit then it sounds like you have the wrong type. All R12 is the same and all 134A is the same.

there's a reason why it quit blowing cold, which i'm sure you under stand is that it is more than likely low on refrigerant. But without hooking up gauges you don't know that for a fact. And without figuring out where the leak is, you're going to be in the exact same position shortly.

Now it's also a possibility that it's something else, blockage in the condenser, clogged orfice tube, bad receiver drier, and/or a bad pressure switch, bad clutch on the compressor or a faulty compressor all together. I would do some troubleshooting and make for sure what you're problem is for sure before proceeding.
        '95 T/A Conv., Green, Tan Top
        '00 T/A Silver
        '86 Chevy RCSB 4WD (LS1 to go in)

Comment

The one on the accumulator is usually the low side, i don't understand how it is bigger than the other. I was looking at the Haynes manual, and the picture does show a port on the side, but that port isn't on my Camaro, its on the accumulator. Not sure what year had it that way, unless it was the smaller V6 (3.4 Engine). Good Luck!
          1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
          2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

On my 3800 Bird, it's on the dryer/accumulator, which is ahead of the passenger side valve cover. If your connection doesn't fit, you might not have right one.
            1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
            2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
            1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

low side has bigger hoses and high side is the smaller hoses, always fill from the low side.
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
              X