Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford Svo Injectors with my engine rebuild?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Svo Injectors with my engine rebuild?

Hello all,

Well my engine rebuild is almost done however I still have some loose ends. Basicly my car started off stock before I started the rebuild (spun bearing) so I had the stock 24lb injectors that I had rebuilt ~3 years ago in it.

My question is I have been told I should switch to 30lb ford svo injectors, does anyone know by doing this do I need to upgrade the fuel pump or anything else to make them fit with a lt1 engine. Would you guys also think 30lb injectors are the right size for the engine? Also are ford 30lb svo injectors (#0280150945 - red tops) the same as 30lb ford racing (FMS-M-9593-B302 red or orange tops)? I have no idea about any of this.

Car Specs:

355 CDI, Compression 10:1, comp cam #07-503-8, 1.5 roller rockers, bee hive springs, MAF stock -ported and descreened, Full exhaust change (KN CAI, BBK shorties, magnaflow highflow cat, borla catback system), 160 thermostat, stock throttle body, Gears 3.23 (stock), B+H 2400 torque converter & PCMFORLESS tune.

The heads were also port and pollished with the below specs (stock and after):

----------------------------Stock #s:--Port/Pollish #s:
    Estimated hp/cyl:--------------51.7 ----61.2
    Intake valve dia. to bore ratio: -0.48 ----0.48
    Exhaust valve dia to bore ratio: 0.37-----0.37
    Exhaust to intake Ratio:--------0.83-----0.82
    Speed for peak power (RPM):---5,480 ---6,495
    Optimum intake runner length (In): 24.1, 17.7, 13.5 ----20.3, 14.9 11.4

Test @ 28.0" of water: - actual tested flow numbers:
    Valve lift:---0.20----0.30---0.40-----0.45----0.50----0.55----0.60
    Stock corrected flow #s
    Intake------120.50--173.40--202.20--202.10--203.50--202.90--203.2
    Exhaust---- 103.70--134.50--155.90--162.40--166.10--168.20--169.70

Port/Pollished corrected flow #'s
    Intake------118.50--173.00--212.70--226.60--234.60--240.50--241.20
    Exhaust-----108.80--146.40--169.20--178.20--186.40--192.60--197.40

All the above head numbers mean nothing to me thats why I copied most of

My Last question is where do I get ford injectors in Canada? I ordered alot of parts from JEGs so I could get them from there does anyone have a part # of them there I can't seem to find them anywhere

Thanks again for the help!
    94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

The numbers indicated what HP you might expect to make out of the heads in an all-out, fairly specialized racing engine - optimized intake, exhaust, radical camshaft, healthy fuel and ignition sytems, and top-notch tuning. They are basing HP estimates purely on intake side CFM.

Stock, the heads flowed about 203 CFM (typical for LT1 heads). At 51.7 HP/CYL, 8 cylinders could support 410HP. But the stock engine only makes 275HP, because its a docile street engine.

With the port job, the heads flowed about 241 CFM (now equal to a stock set of LT4 heads), and now can support 61.2 HP/CYL or about 490 HP. How close you get to that figure will depend on the cam, and what other supporting modifications you make. With that cam, which is fairly mild, I'd guess no more than 400-420 HP at the flywheel.

The guideline I've developed to estimate the minimum recommended injector size is to multiply flywheel HP time 0.07. Assuming you make a max of 400 flywheel HP, you would need 420 x 0.07 = 29.4 #/HR injectors. That assumes a "decent" tune (0.476 #/HR/HP BSFC) and not to exceed 85% duty cycle on the injectors.

The 30# SVO's actually flow 31.6 #/HR at the stock LT1 fuel pressure of 43.5psi (measured with vacuum compensation line disconnected from the FPR). They should be adequate for your engine. The SVO injectors fit directly into the LT1 rails and intake, but the slots for the retainer clips are hard to line up... some do, some don't. But you don't have to use the retainers. Electrical connection is the same. Watch the O-ring size, particularly the one that fits into the intake manifold end. I thinkk the diameter of the O-rings on the various Ford injectors may be a bit loose for the LT1 intake. If they leak, you have a vacuum leak.

Stock fuel system is going to be near max at that HP, and if you still have a 14 year old stock pump, it might be getting a bit tired. I would recommend at least a 200 LPH pump. The Walbro 255 LPH pump seems fairly popular.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
      bla bla bla....
      What a great detailed answer. Can we clone you? What a wealth of knowledge.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks Fred!

You answered all my hard questions (even the ones I didnt ask) and this helps me alot. Now it's time to reach into my pocket for a new fuel pump and some injectors.

The 400-420 fwhp rating was what the engine builder estimated to be my final build hp. I think it should make around 340-350hp to the wheels, kind of weak for what I paid but if it holds up and I don't have any more problems with it then the price will be worth it.

It should feel alot more stronger then stock, sound much more meaner and not push my other non engine components past the breaking point. Being a daily driver it will probably be a good fit for me overall.

Does anyone know a good place to pick up the fuel pump and injectors?

Thanks again for the help!
        94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

Check Thunder Racing for injectors and fuel pump. I think they sell the Racetronix fuel pump kit, which includes a Walbro 255 LPH pump that is equipped to fit correctly in the 4th Gen fuel pump bucket. They also offer a wiring kit that beefs up the wire capacity to insure you have adequate voltage at the pump. Nothing kills fuel pump capacity like weak voltage.

http://www.thunderracing.com/
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks again,

I think I may just get the Accel 30lb injectors. Thats the brand that the engine builder wants to get and are less expencive then the ford ones.

The fuel pump from thunder racing looks like a good deal though so I will probably order it this weekend.

This week the is engine is being assembled, next week the PCM arrives and probably the engine will be reinstalled. Then the exhaust will be mounted with electronic cut out and the fuel pump changed out.

I am realy excited ~2 more weeks or so and my car is back on the streets after a year and a half of storage. I will be nervous at first but hearing the engine is going to be music to my ears

I will post some pictures when it's all done.

Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Working...
            X