harmonic balancer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harmonic balancer

I'm working on building a LT1 I believe its a 1995, buis there anyway I can be sure I currently have the engine disassembled for rebuild and I'm tryin to purchase a new harmonic balancer so I can have teh rotating assembly balanced, but they tell me I need to know the specific year to get the right balancer, what is different about the balancers through the years?
    1995 Pontiac Trans Am Formula

Its not a balancer at all, its strictly a harmonic damper. The pulley/damper portion is the same for all year F-Bodys (although the "spokes" are shaped differently on 93-95 vs 96-97). Only the hub differs by year. The 96-97 hubs are shorter, to allow space on the crank for the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor reluctor gear. The stock damper should be neutral balanced, and that should be verified by the engine builder.

You should be able to verify the year of the block by looking at the VIN derivative stamped at the rear of the block. Shoebox has a photo of the lolcation, and the decoding. You can also tell the year by the timing cover and the Opti drive... 93-94 timing cover has a small hole for the Opti drive, cam sprocket has splines for the Opti drive, cam has a shallow hole in the end, and a short dowel pin. 95 has a larger hole for the Opti drive, no splines in the cam sprocket, a larger pilot hole in the cam for the Opti shaft, and a longer dowel pin. 96-97 is the same as the 95, but has an added hole in the timing cover next to the crank hole for the CKP sensor.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

so when it comes to purchasing an aftermarker damper where I believe the hub and damper is one piece, what year of the motor have an affect on the damper choice? I need one for an 95 I beleive it is

Comment

I have the ATI SuperDamper. It comes with a keyed hub that will fit all years, and includes a spacer to fill the gap on the 93-95 engines, without the CKP reluctor. I don't know if other brands are the same.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

my casting number is 10125327 which still doesnt tell me an exact year

Comment

Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

I noticed that number I'll check it when I get home, does anyone have any information about the DUAL-MASS FRONT TORSIONAL DAMPER(GM part .# 12551486) found on the LT4

Comment

Working...
              X