2 bolt or 4 bolt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 bolt or 4 bolt

is there any way of telling wether my lt1 is a 2 or 4 bolt main without pulling the pan i will be pulling the pan in the next couple months when i do the ai heads and cam swap. im just wondering if there is a way to tell by the vin or casting numbers
    93 trans am lt1 soon to be a 406 gen 1 sbc all bolt ons zr1 wheels dr in back built 700 r4.

No way to tell, other then looking at the main caps. All LT1 blocks have the same casting numbers. Only the Corvette engines were 4-bolt. All B-Bodys and F-Bodys had 2-bolt mains. But some 4-bolts were used as "replacement" engines in F-Bodys, when the engine was replaced under warranty.

For a normally aspirated application, the 2-bolt block is more than adequate. With a "power adder" setup, you would be looking at finding a stock block with straight 4-bolt mains, or having your 2-bolt block converted to 4-bolt.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

just for my dummness would a 2-bolt converted to a 4-bolt be weaker, considering your drilling and all into the block?
      94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
      94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
      75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
      1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
      GOT PSi?
      Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

Depends. The LT1 block was designed for straight 4-bolt mains. Hence, there is extra "meat" in the webs to accomodate those bolts. The arguement is then whether you want to install a "straight" 4-bolt conversion, which would obviously be stronger than the 2-bolt setup, or would you want to install a "splayed" 4-bolt conversion. In any case, you use beefy forged caps.

The shop that built my engine did a bit of homework on the LT1 blocks. A buddy of mine was running a 383 LT1 with over 20# of boost, making 1,125HP. The block was a Corvette straight 4-bolt block. The shop claimed that they felt the LT1 block was stronger than a traditional factory SBC, and a lot more like the Chvy Bowtie performance block than anything else. They also felt that the webs were designed to handle the straight bolts. I have a splayed conversion, and so far its holding together, but I'm only at about 800HP. We got into the discussion of "splayed" vs. "straight" after my block was done, but before they built my friend's engine. They eventually tore his engine down, because he wanted even more power. The block was in good shape, and he sold it to yet another friend who was builing an 1,100HP nitrous motor. I'm not sure how far he ever got with the nitrous setup.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

My '97 block has 4-bolt mains, saw them during the rebuild. It's the original block, because the VIN matched.

Comment

hey fred thanks for the clarification like all ive ever dealt with was 4-bolt bbc and sbc i never knew you could switch a 2-bolt to a 4-bolt i was afraid to eeven think about it cause i didnt want anything to break lol but now i know its ok to do lol thanks buddy
            94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
            94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
            75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
            1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
            GOT PSi?
            Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT4SS
              My '97 block has 4-bolt mains, saw them during the rebuild. It's the original block, because the VIN matched.
              That's because you have a Corvette LT4.
              Fred

Comment

I never knew SLP used an LT4 block. I always thought SLP modified the original LT1 with LT4 components (Intake, Heads, Cam). I've owned the car since 1999 and never put two and two together. Great news for me.

Thanks Fred

Comment

Working...
                X