10,000th Header question ....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10,000th Header question ....

I have been looking on several different forums for information about headers that will give me a CARB EO#, decent plug access, quality and noticable gains (i realize this is hard to find with shorties or mid-lengths).

The car is a daily driver in CALIFORNIA
    I may port and polish the heads and do a mild cam.
    i have heard mixed reviews about every header available and i am stuck.

Any help is appreciated (that includes links to threads that will help too).

Thank you.
    -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

In california, it needs to be 50 state smog legal. That will eliminate long tubes from passing even a visual inspection, as the location of the stock catalytic converters cannot me moved. The only headers that I knew of that were 50 state legal were SLP. They are shorties, there is a HP gain when combined with a good high flow Y pipe and are smog legal. I ran a set of ceramic coated SLPs and was very happy. Still have them as a matter of fact. Just get ceramic coated for lower under hood temps amd more rust resistant.

Comment

where can i find a smog legal/catted-y? is the only one magnaflow?
      and would you happen to know where i can find slp shorties?

thanks again
      -Ryan-

Comment

I just realized you're from Scotts Valley...I'm from the Fremont area so I didn't realize we were that close.

You have a 97, which makes it a bit harder. I'm not sure if you can even legally replace your y-pipe with a Random Tech y-pipe. The SLP headers will bolt to your stock y-pipe. It's too bad, because on the '94-'95 systems, you can replace everything.

I would do what Joe said and get the SLPs. I have the '94 SLP design, but that's much different from the '96-'97.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

SLP isn't listing a header for an LT1 anymore. They may have discontinued them.

It appears the Edelbrock headers are 50 state legal.
          http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I've been running JBA shorties for 5+ years, no problems to report..unfortunately they are not cheap.

http://moesperformance.com/index.php...oducts_id=3165

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
              I just realized you're from Scotts Valley...I'm from the Fremont area so I didn't realize we were that close.

You have a 97, which makes it a bit harder. I'm not sure if you can even legally replace your y-pipe with a Random Tech y-pipe. The SLP headers will bolt to your stock y-pipe. It's too bad, because on the '94-'95 systems, you can replace everything.

I would do what Joe said and get the SLPs. I have the '94 SLP design, but that's much different from the '96-'97.
              My mom went to fremont high lol.

I cant seem to find the SLP shorties ANYWHERE

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
              SLP isn't listing a header for an LT1 anymore. They may have discontinued them.

It appears the Edelbrock headers are 50 state legal.
              BUMMER!!!
              the edelbrock is 50-state legal TES shorties and were what i was thinking about getting, my brother got some for his 92z28(350TPI-5spd ) and it made a noticable torque improvement.

as far as the Y-pipe.......the ONLY thiong i could find was these from magnaflow: and they say "49-state" legal. Which i assume the 1 state excluded is Cali
              http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/...1/759591|10251
              http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/...1/759591|10251

But i wonder....how would they ever know? would it immediately fail smog if i had the high flow cats on an OBDII car?
              -Ryan-

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT4SS
                I've been running JBA shorties for 5+ years, no problems to report..unfortunately they are not cheap.

http://moesperformance.com/index.php...oducts_id=3165
                For $700 i could get four hookers!!

( headers that is)

although you do get what you pay for most of the time. Plus i wanted to go with ceramic, so that would be in the 800s.....
                -Ryan-

Comment

I bought the ceramic coated headers, connected them to Random Tech cats and they has passed every visual inspection in CT. Although I might still be paying for them five years later

Comment

Originally posted by sk8boy7789
                    But i wonder....how would they ever know? would it immediately fail smog if i had the high flow cats on an OBDII car?
                    they know... you cannot change the location of the stock converters. Most Y pipes relocate the cat farther downstream. It will fail a visual 99% of the time

Comment

My brother on his 96Z ran shorties with a Random tech Y-pipe with their high flow cats and it passed the Sniffer and the visual. Does not relocate the cats (here in Los Angeles). So I say do that. Keep in mind the Random tech. Y-pipe is pricey. Its about $500-600 when he got it a set of years ago. All in all its going to be around $600+ plus install.

California Sucks when it comes to adding Mods to your car. I hate it!
                      Eddie
                      2000 M6 Trans Am
                      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT4SS
                        I bought the ceramic coated headers, connected them to Random Tech cats and they has passed every visual inspection in CT. Although I might still be paying for them five years later
                        where in CT are u from? also CT emissions is much more relaxed per say then Cali
                        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                        X